Help - multi step infusion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletmoore

Reaction score
I have a 20 gal (13 gal batch size) brew rig. I use a Blichmann tower of power unit to control my direct fired recirculating mash tun setup.

I am going to try my first batch of multi-step for a Belgian wit and although I have the basic concept of stepping, I'd like to get some pointers/tips before I start.

- How many steps should I use for how long (with a grain bill of 1/2 2-row and 1/2 unmated wheat)?
- What temps should I use for each step?

Thanks for any help!

I like to dough in at 104* for 20 minutes.
I would recommend a protein rest for 20 minutes...around 122*
From there, do your sacch rest for 60 minutes at what ever temp you need to get the body you desire.

Trick is to do the rests kinda thick since you have so many steps.
I do my dough in at .8 quarts for lb of grain,
protein rest at around 1.2 qts per lb, and sacch rest at around 1.75 qts per lb.
I also have to have boiling water on stand by when I step this way, as the lower step temps allow my mash tun to cool off. So, I check my sacch rest every 15 minutes with 4 cups of boiling water handy. 4 cups will raise my mash temp 2*. Then, what every amount of boiling water I added to my mash...I subtract that amount from my sparge volume, so the total volume is not effected.
i do 5 gallon batches...so your volumes will be different. But you get the idea anyway.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Why do the rests with different amounts of water? Why so thick for dough in and protein?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Why do the rests with different amounts of water? Why so thick for dough in and protein?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
According to John Palmer's book, "How to Brew", sacch rests are best performed at 1.5 to 2.0 qts. per pound of grain. So the "smaller" amounts at the beginning, which add up over the course of the steps, are an attempt not to surpass the 1.5 to 2.0 rule of thumb when you get to your sacch rest.

Will surpassing the 2.0 rule ruin your mash? No. But it could lead to a slower conversion, AND lead to a thinner bodied beer. Not a death sentence by any standard.
Staying within the 1.5 to 2.0 rule will also give you more water to sparge with. I break my sparge into 2 equal runnings. I get great eff. numbers and have never fell below 1.015 in the final runnings...so no tannin bitterness worries.

Back