Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGBM.SOO

Reaction score
I know 25% alcohol tolerance for wlp 099. However, it brewed an Imperial Stout of 20 liters, which was an og 1.138. Ten days later the FG was 1.082. Of course, I made a four-liter starter. Is the fermentation speed slow at 099? I plan to add one more 099 . What do you think?

Lots of variables here: OG of wort? Mash temp? Grain bill? Temp of ferment? Oxygenation? Age of yeast into starter? OG of starter?

Answer those and someone will help. I've never used 099, so it won't be me.

Lots of variables here: OG of wort? Mash temp? Grain bill? Temp of ferment? Oxygenation? Age of yeast into starter? OG of starter?

Answer those and someone will help. I've never used 099, so it won't be me.

Batch size 20L
OG 1.138
Total grain bill : 9.6kg and brown sugar 1kg
Mash temp : 90min at 65 , 20min at 72 and 78 each 10min
I did Aeration before pitch yeast and after fermentation for 10 hours.
Best before of yeast : 2020.4.22
I made yeast starter for 4L , this wort og was 1.036.

Thanks.

What temperature is it fermenting at?
I've only used WLP099 a couple of times, but don't remember it being slow. It wasn't on a beer this big though!

Adding more yeast probably won't help.

That does not look promising. Something's gotta be wrong here, but I haven't found it yet.
I used wlp099 on the one big barley wine I ever did and it ploughed waaay further than that...

Cheers!

[edit] SWAG: check whatever thermometer that was used to monitor the mash.
Also, what was the grist composition?

What temperature is it fermenting at?
I've only used WLP099 a couple of times, but don't remember it being slow. It wasn't on a beer this big though!

Adding more yeast probably won't help.

At 19~20'c 10 days
This beer faired !?? I'm very disappointed ㅜ_ㅜ

Back