Help me with the grain ratios in this IRA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
Here is what i know about the beer:

style: India Red Ale
color: SRM 17
abv: 6.5%
yeast: chico or other IPA strain

Malts used: pale ale, carared, caraamber, melanoidin

I have never used the later three malts, what could have been their percentages in the malt bill?

Meanwhile i tried to hit SRM 17 with these malts and i need like 50% crystal in the malt bill. Maybe the brewer meant EBC 17?
With EBC 17 i used about 7% carared and 7% caraamber.

SRM is not the best indicator for redness unfortunately. It's more accurate as a measure of total luminance. That being said, I think 17 SRM is going to be verging on too dark to see any redness in the beer. 13 is a number I've heard tossed around. People say good things about carared, and a tiny amount of roasted barley. Long boils help to facilitate Maillard reactions. I'm also planning a IRA right now, with a a bit of carared an ounce of roasted barley. Shooting for 11 SRM as my beers always seem a bit darker than my target.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think the brewer must have messed up something because that kind of darkness can't be achieved with sensible amounts of carared and caraamber.

I might try roasted barley but i am pretty close to hate the burnt/roasted tastes in things like black IPAs so i am not sure if i want to add that to my beer. Maybe i should try debittered black malt?

Back