Help Me with my Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoeBrew

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a little while now. Maybe 20 batches. I live in Kansas City, so i feel that I have decent water, but what do I know. I understand that each beer profile has different pH needs. But, I am a keep it simple brewer. I really no nothing about altering my water. I would like to have just a basic addition for all brews no matter the style. Thanks for any help. :mug:

Chloride*(Cl-) 49*ppm
Sulfate*(SO42-) 106*ppm
Calcium*(Ca) 41*ppm
Potassium*(K+) 7.5 ppm
Sodium*(Na+) 71 ppm
Magnesium*(Mg2+*) 31*ppm
Alkalinity (bicarbonate) 30*ppm
Alkalinity (carbonate) 31*ppm
pH 9.6 pH units

It is a bit mineralized. The sodium, sulfate, and magnesium content should be OK for the hoppier and more bitter beer styles, but it may be a bit much for maltier and lighter flavored styles.

I would like to have just a basic addition for all brews no matter the style.

So would we all but that's not possible any more than it is possible to have a spice jar full of a mix that is suitable for any cuisine.

You are fortunate that your total alkalinity is moderate - almost below the good threshold. Were you to cut your water 1:1 with RO or DI you would get the alkalinity under 1 mEq/L and the sulfate and sodium down and with that water you could brew a wide range of beers using the guidelines of the Primer here. But the Primer is designed to get you decent beer - not the best beer. For that you will have to expend some effort on water adjustment. All RO with added salts always works and requires minimal thinking.

Back