Help me with my recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I want to design a recipe along the lines of an American Pale Ale but with more of a hop balance, shying towards malty. I know this is not a category, but I want to see what it is like because I brewed a PM oatmeal stout that finished at 1.028 and I really like it. I also want to experiment with some new malts and hops are hard to come by. Let me know what you think! I am looking at starting around 1.060 and ending around 1.020, with 25-30 IBUs.

OG: 1.063
FG: ~1.020

Efficiency: 70%

11 lbs Pale 2-row
.75 lbs Biscuit malt
1.5 lbs Munich malt
.25 lbs Dextrine Malt

.5 oz Centennial - 60
.5 oz Tettnanger - 60
.5 oz Centennial - 15
.5 oz Tettnager - 0
(Gives me around 31 IBUs)

Safale S-04

So please let me know if I am working towards something good. Thanks!

Jason

Pale Ale but with more of a hop balance, shying towards malty.
Sounds like an English Pale ale (Bitter) to me... or maybe a Belgian Pale Ale (both of which have more malt character then the traditional American Pale Ale)

You are probably going to end up with a gravity lower then 1.020, unless of course you use a higher temp mash then usual. Which will leave you with a heavier bodied beer with fewer fermentable sugars.

Find out what the average attenuation rate of the yeast you are planning on using.

Edit: Found the Attenuation rate of Safale S-04 @ 73-75%

So with a starting gravity of 1.063 your looking at a FG of some where between 1.017 and 1.015

Yeah I forget to say that I plan on mashing around 158 F. Looking for around 5% alcohol with a nice body and mouthfeel.

that sounds fantastic. let us know how it goes!

it does sound like it would fit the style of a bitter. i wouldn't say belgian, however, just because of the yeast

:mug:

There is a style you're looking for: American Amber - 10B. It's not that you have to fit into a category, but it might help you look around for other recipes. You have a mighty fine sounding one right there, yourself, though. Your recipe is on the high end of the OG range, and, of course, the Tettnanger isn't quite to style (going for U.S. hops), but who gives a flip? Tettnanger = yummy.

By the way, I like the way you'll mash high and leave all that body in the beer. I'd actually bump the Munich up to a solid pound or 1.5# (adjusting the 2-row accordingly), and maybe substitute 2-4# of Marris Otter for the 2-row (if that's U.S. 2-row).

TL

Yeah I am definitely not going for a belgian as I am not the biggest fan of the flavors the yeast impart. I think I am going to go with this and see what happens! What does everybody think about the hop selection? I only chose those because I think my LHBS has them in stock, but there are others as well. Thanks for all the input!

Jason

TexLaw said:
There is a style you're looking for: American Amber - 10B. It's not that you have to fit into a category, but it might help you look around for other recipes. You have a mighty fine sounding one right there, yourself, though. Your recipe is on the high end of the OG range, and, of course, the Tettnanger isn't quite to style (going for U.S. hops), but who gives a flip? Tettnanger = yummy.

By the way, I like the way you'll mash high and leave all that body in the beer. I'd actually bump the Munich up to a solid pound or 1.5# (adjusting the 2-row accordingly), and maybe substitute 2-4# of Marris Otter for the 2-row (if that's U.S. 2-row).

TL

That sounds like a good idea! Ill prob keep with the 2 row because I am not 100% sure my LHBS has MO, but I will bump up the Munich. I have never used Munich so I am curious as to what effect it has on the finished product? Thanks!

Back