help me with my new setup!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bw1

Reaction score
Hi I am new to brewing. I would like to start brewing 5gallon batches at a time to be kegged. Spent the last couple days reading on the forums and have made up a shopping list.

I have a banjo burner and a 30quart aluminum pot already on order from bayouclassicdepot.

So far my list includes:

cheap freezer around 7 or 8 cuft.
love or ranco controller to control freezer temp

The following from midwestsupplies:

E8011 or E8012 keg kit
carboy drainer C6041
nylon hop bag 6300
immersion wart chiller 6680G

My plan is to not modify the freezer if possible and just put the items inside making it a beverage fridge or fermenter. I will open the lid to fill my glass, so I don't need any fancy taps etc at this time.

Can anyone suggest anything to add to my list before I order? I will probly try extract first before all grain.

I can get the beer kit locally and whatever else from family as they brew wine. Trying to keep costs down :)

Thanks
bw1

Why I'm impressed with your blind enthusiasm! I brewed for a LONG time before I jumped to kegging, and apparently you are not on a tight budget...that helps make it a lot easier.
You'll hate yourself for opening the keezer to fill a glass...It causes condensation that will need to be mopped up from the floor of the keezer.

Also...FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Just cause you CAN boil 5 gallons of extract kit, doesn't mean you SHOULD boil 5 gallons. It requires some hope changes...just follow the directions for the first one or 2.

I suggest Brewing an extract batch and bottling it for your first brew. I know brewing and kegging all at once would have overwhelmed me a bit.

Im pretty good at reading and following directions. I think I can go straight to kegging, sure I'll probly make some mistakes along the way but whatever thats how you learn.

Is there anything I missed in terms of equipment needed?

THanks

I'm guessing you know that you need a carboy for fermenting, hydromemter, autosiphon, all that fun stuff?

I think cost is the biggest hang up people run into with kegging. That and portability. If neither of those are a problem for you then I think kegging is actually easier. Just go from the carboy to the keg and when you feel like it, force carbonate. Easier and quicker than bottling and you don't have to wait 2 weeks for the carbonation to build up.

Does the keg kit come with the lines and connectors?

Picnic taps, probably 2

Yeah I know I need the carboy, fermenter, various hoses etc, I can get that locally. Its the other items I'm wondering about as local selection is limited.

I would say you are pretty set for your first batch then. Don't worry, you will find that you want to add more stuff later. There isn't one person on this board that has everything they want/need for brewing

Latest posts

Back