Help me with El Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. Please help me out with a simple, quick Hefeweizen recipe. I want to give one a whirl. I searched the site but most everything I found was all-grain. I don't have a mash tun and so my comfort level is steeping grains and using LME/DME etc.

Anyways based on what I did find, I am guessing something like (5 gallon batch):
5 or 6 # Bavarian Wheat DME
1oz Hallertau hops
X amount of some grain/grains which you are going to help me identify
Wyeast 3068 yeasties

I do really want to try all-grain because the LME/DME cost is killing me... stuff is like liquid gold. Lack of a mash-tun and not fully understanding the process is holding me back though :(

Thanks!
E

U could always start all grain by doing one gallon batches. Using the brew in a bag method. The last two gallons I made cost me around $4 a batch.

As for the hef. I went 3 lbs Pilsen dme and 3 lbs wheat dme. I went 1/2 lb carapils and that was it

You got a good all-grain Hefe recipe for a 1 gal? I assume just divide all those numbers by 5 and that would work.

Yupp. I went a little farther and added some coriander and honey to it as well.

Use LME as it's almost half the cost of DME and spike it with honey at flameout. Here's my interpretation of what you described:

Style: Weizen/Weissbier; Hefeweizen
Type: Extract w/ Specialty grains; 4 gallon pot
Size: 5 gallons; 60 minute boil
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.011
IBU: 12.5
SRM: 7.5
ABV: 5.0%

Specialty Grains
12oz Caramel 20L
8oz Honey Malt
4oz Carapils
Steep in 1.5 gallons water @ 154F

Extract/Adjuncts/Sugar
3lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME @ 30 minutes
3lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat LME @ 30 minutes
8oz Honey @ Flame-Out

Hops
0.25oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
0.25oz Hallertauer @ 50 min
0.25oz Hallertauer @ 10 min
0.25oz Hallertauer @ 5 min

Yeast
Wyeast German Wheat (3333); 1L Starter w/ Stir Plate - 3L Starter w/o Stir Plate

Primary @ 69F for 21 days (or 7 Primary, 14 Secondary); Bottle w/ 5oz Priming Sugar (2.9 vol)

Really no need for a 50 min addition. I would just do it at 60. I like to add my honey in secondary so I get more honey flavor.

I can handle zzARzz's recipe. Sounds pretty tasty. I will probably use DME though. My LHBS has it for the exact same price and I seem to get better beer and I find that I hit my FG much better with it for some reason. You definitely helped fill in the gaps on the recipe though!

Really no need for a 50 min addition. I would just do it at 60. I like to add my honey in secondary so I get more honey flavor.

I agree with the 0.5oz hps @ 60. I was doing some funky stuff with hops additions today on BeerSmith and haven't gotten out of that mode yet :drunk:

When I did my honey wheat ale I added 1/2 of the total honey in primary and the other half in secondary which worked really well. Gave it a good honey background like you said.

Any thoughts on doing the starter with the honey? How about adding a bit extra honey for a slightly higher ABV? The OG sounds kind of low for all that malt and honey but I don't have a whole lot of experience with beer, only like 3 stouts and 2 ambers under my belt.

I can handle zzARzz's recipe. Sounds pretty tasty. I will probably use DME though. My LHBS has it for the exact same price and I seem to get better beer and I find that I hit my FG much better with it for some reason. You definitely helped fill in the gaps on the recipe though!

If you use DME then use a starter of 1.25L w/ Stir-plate and 1.75L w/o. Other than that you may want to take dneubeck85's suggestion of doing the honey in the secondary if you want it more pronounced.

I've done it both ways. Added at end of the boil and secondary. During initial fermentation honey is like 98% fermentable, so there isn't much left as far as flavor goes. Adding to the secondary will still ferment but gives a bit more pronounced honey flavor to the beer. I was partial to dme when I brewed extract.

Any thoughts on doing the starter with the honey? How about adding a bit extra honey for a slightly higher ABV? The OG sounds kind of low for all that malt and honey but I don't have a whole lot of experience with beer, only like 3 stouts and 2 ambers under my belt.

Using DME will drive the OG up to 1.052 which is at the top end for weissebier. For a starter I'd just use 6oz of the pilsen DME w/ 1.75L of boiled water (1.037 SG) and 1/2tsp of nutrient and save the honey for the batch.

I'm not much of a hefeweizen fan, but if I was going to make one I'd make it just the traditional way.

I'd use wheat DME (which is a mix of wheat and barley DME), bittering hops only, and weizen yeast. That's it- it's that simple.

The traditional hefeweizen flavor comes from a tradition weizen yeast.

I wouldn't use honey, coriander, or any of that other stuff if I wanted a hefeweizen.

I'm not much of a hefeweizen fan, but if I was going to make one I'd make it just the traditional way.

I'd use wheat DME (which is a mix of wheat and barley DME), bittering hops only, and weizen yeast. That's it- it's that simple.

The traditional hefeweizen flavor comes from a tradition weizen yeast.

I wouldn't use honey, coriander, or any of that other stuff if I wanted a hefeweizen.

Yeah... but what do you know about beer? ;)

*ducks flying shoe*

Yeah... but what do you know about beer? ;)

*ducks flying shoe*

Not too much. But I know damn well I wouldn't drink a honey coriander pretend hefeweizen! :p

When I lived in Germany, I drank hefeweizen only in the summer and I found it refreshing for what it was. I'm not a huge fan at all of wheat beers, or of fruity flavors in beers, but when it was warm outside it was a very nice thirst quencher. The same could be said for radler, though!

But the key to a hefeweizen is truly its simplicity. 35-50% wheat, 50-65% barley, noble hops for bittering, and a good weizen yeast. You don't even need specialty grains, since wheat DME is the right proportion for a hefeweizen.

I've seen some wits that will use coriander and the like, and I think that's ok for what it is but it is not my preference.

Latest posts

Back