Help me with 2.5 gallon version of Graham's English Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I plan to start a 2.5 gallon batch of cider this evening using the Graham's English Cider recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/grahams-english-cider-107152/

I have some questions about my 2.5 gallon recipe:

* I am using EC1118 yeast. Should I pitch one full yeast packet if I am doing half the total of the OP's recipe? Will that extra yeast create any issues?

* Should I cut the lemon and tea in half as well?

* I don't have any yeast nutrient, is this a problem? Can I just pitch the yeast directly into the primary?

Hey, Malt

I don't think you should use ec-1118 yeast. If you look at Graham's recipe he says to you safale 04 or similar ALE yeast (he lists some other yeasts he has used below the picture.) Ec-1118 is a champagne yeast. It will take ferment your cider to the very dry side of things, while an ale yeast will finish out leaving more sweetness. I would get my hands on a nice ale yeast if you are going to go through the process of making this specific recipe(which is up next for me, it's sounds great) and waiting 3 months just to find out it's not as good as it could have been.

As for the lemon (lime, actually) and tea, yes, just use half otherwise they might be overpowering.

The yeast nutrient is a personal choice. Lots of people swear by it, some say they never use it. I think you can get away with not using it, just be sure to rehydrate your yeast to give them a good start.

Cheers,
The Doctor

Thanks for the advice --I started the batch last night so we'll see where this thing goes!

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I understood about the champagne yeast and the dry character of the result. That's what I want. It has a higher allowable fermenting temperature and that is critical when you freezer is full to the brim with beer. I am concerned that there is such a thing as too much yeast but I have not heard that mentioned anywhere before so ...

It is great to be getting advice from Dr. Who. Tom Baker was my hero growing up. The newest Doctor is also acceptable.

Oh, sorry...I forgot to answer the second half of your yeast question, but for future reference, I aways proportion my yeast to the recipe and it works perfectly, but at this half batch level, you can't go wrong with a full packet, it will probably just start fermenting even faster!

I am sure you will have some good cider!

:off: Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor growing up as well. I was also very fond of David Tennent, and I am slowly warming up to the new Doctor.

Back