Help me utilize my hop inventory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
Hi guys. My freezer is getting a bit full and I'm still not the greatest at building my own recipes. I inventoried all my hops, and this is what I'm working with:

Amarillo - 0.3oz
Belma - 1.0lb
Cascade - 0.5oz
Centenial - 0.8oz
Magnum - 0.7oz
Simcoe - 0.5oz
Warrior - 0.7oz
Willamette - 0.5oz

If anyone knows a good recipe to utilize the majority of these hops I'd like to hear it. I do 5 gallon AG recipes, no style preference here. I do have some pacman yeast I'd like to use though.

Thanks to any input/help! :mug:

1 lb 4oz is filling up your freezer?

0.7 oz Magnum @ 60
0.5 oz Willamette @ 10
0.5 oz Cascade @ 10
0.8 oz Centennial @ 0
0.3 oz Amarillo @ Dry
0.5 oz Simcoe @ Dry

Leftover:
1 lb Belma
0.7 oz Warrior

yooper's 60 Minute IPA clone would use a good chunk of your warrior, amarillo, and simcoe

1 lb 4oz is filling up your freezer?

0.7 oz Magnum @ 60
0.5 oz Willamette @ 10
0.5 oz Cascade @ 10
0.8 oz Centennial @ 0
0.3 oz Amarillo @ Dry
0.5 oz Simcoe @ Dry

Leftover:
1 lb Belma
0.7 oz Warrior

Ha well its filling the allotted space for brewing. Plus I'm tired of hearing the wife complain about all the baggies of hops!

This looks interesting enough. What type of grain bill would you run with that?

Most of the hops are left over from yoopers IPA, as much as I love it I wanna brew something outside of that.

This looks interesting enough. What type of grain bill would you run with that?

Pick your favorite. Probably 1.070ish, pale ale malt base with 1-2lbs Munich/Vienna, 0.5 lb Victory/Aromatic and maybe 0.25 C60/C120. That's probably what I'd do, but pick your favorite.

The hops look APA or (D)IPA friendly. You could brew an amber, black IPA, Barleywine or Rye IPA if you want to go a little different route.
Option 1: Warrior at 60 for bittering, roughly 50 IBUs. All the Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe & Willamette late. My method is to dump it all in shortly after flameout, but if you're a 20/15/10/5/0/dry-hop proponent, that would be fine too.
Option 2: Magnum for bittering, roughly 45 IBUs. Belma overload for flavor/aroma/dry. Depending on the gravity, 4-8oz total.

American IPA

Magnum (60)
Warrior or Willlamette (30)
Warrior or Williamette (15)
Cascade & Belma (0)
Amarillo, Centennial, & Simcoe (DH)

You can get rid of those 5 total oz. in one beer.

American IPA

Magnum (60)
Warrior or Willlamette (30)
Warrior or Williamette (15)
Cascade & Belma (0)
Amarillo, Centennial, & Simcoe (DH)

You can get rid of those 5 total oz. in one beer.

I think you miss read the pound of belma. but none the less this also looks promising. :mug:

So, I think I'll try doing something like this.

13 Pounds 2-row (US)
6 ounces Thomas Fawcett amber malt

0.7 oz Magnum (60 minutes)
0.5 oz Willamette (10 minutes)
0.5 oz Cascade (10 minutes)
0.8 oz Centennial (flameout)
0.3 oz Amarillo (DH 14 days)
0.5 oz Simcoe (DH 14 days)

mash around 153, and see what happens

My only problem is my IBU's are coming up around 35% on a 60min boil in Beersmith. This seems a little low, but im new to beersmith and not sure if i'm right.

I'd really like to throw some belma in there too, but I'm holding onto that pound for a miracle combination to be found for its use. Maybe after this batch, i'll bitter with the left of warrior, and just hop the hell out of it with belma.

Ah yes, saw 1 oz.

You're still kind of short on the late hops and dryhops with that revamp.

Belma isn't really good for AIPA's in my opinion. But I'd use it if I had nothing else.

1 lb 4 ozs is not much. I think I have 15 lbs in my freezer.

What are you saving the Belma intact for? 4 ozs is on the low side for an APA, adding some of the Belma will help.

My vote is to take all the spare hops and mix them up with an ounce of Belma. Put them in a big bowl and mix them up. That's 5 ozs. Split them into 5 ounce lots and add them to an APA recipe (2-row or Light extract + 1 lb crystal to about 1.060) at 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry. Use more Belma hops at 60 to get IBUs to about 45.

Good luck.

My vote is to take all the spare hops and mix them up with an ounce of Belma. Put them in a big bowl and mix them up. That's 5 ozs. Split them into 5 ounce lots and add them to an APA recipe (2-row or Light extract + 1 lb crystal to about 1.060) at 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry. Use more Belma hops at 60 to get IBUs to about 45.

Good luck.

I'll 2nd that suggestion. Although I say try to get that bitterness ration in the .9 range and go for an IPA.

Back