Help me troubleshoot a test batch (please!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
My first all grain 5 gallon batch is planned for two weeks from today.

The recipe is for an all grain version of my standard english-style ale.

5lbs Canadian 6-row pale malt
5lbs Munich Malt (supposed to be 20L, so not fully able to self convert)
~8oz Carastan

1 oz Pearle @ start of boil
1/2 oz East Kent @ 15mins
1/2 oz Willamette @ flameout

The plan is to mash in @ 165*F for a target mash temp of 152*f for one hour, mash out to raise the temp to aprox 171*f and simple batch sparge.

Now the test batch is basically the same as above, but scaled down to 1 gallon and using a BIAB technique with basic sparge using a colander.

I know that using 6-row is not ideal for a european style ale, thus the heavy utilization of a munich malt, combined with carastan to help improve the body. My concern is if i'm mashing in too low with a target temp of 152*F or if I should shoot for a higher mash in temperature to help preserve more malt body.

If anybody could give some pointers or advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Well, the BIAB 1g batch is now cooling and settling. The grains produced a surprising amount of trub, so i'll have to siphon off carefully.

Something tells me this is from BIAB as opposed to using grains though, as i had to disturb the grain bed moving it from the vessel.

We'll see what my OG looks like in another few hours.

So, i ended up with an OG of aprox 1.041.

That was a little lower than my target of 1.05 but at this point, i'm gonna call it a win, as I successfully cleared the nasty trub from the wort.

again, i think with a proper mashtun settup i won't run into the same problems with trub.

Back