Help me read my hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffj502

Reaction score
I recently just transferred some hard cider to the secondary and to this reading. In the picture the hydrometer is up against the thief but it was the same when I had the thief straight up and down.

Just wondering the alcohol %

hydrometer_reading.jpg

A hydrometer doesn't really measure alcohol, it measures the amount of sugar (potential alcohol) in whatever mixture you put it in. This sugar is converted to alcohol by yeast.

In order to figure out your ABV (Alcohol by Volume) you'd need your Original Gravity, I usually take this sample before I put my wort in the fermenter. Then you subtract you're final gravity (which is what you have in your picture) and multiply by 131.

An easier way to do this is to use a calculator. One can be found here at Brewers Friend.

If you don't have you're OG, then you're pretty much out of luck I think. Although I have been known to be wrong before.

It looks like your final gravity is 1.002.

I first calculated the OG it had the potential for 10-12% (I added to much sugar!) I think it was around 1.09

Knock it away from the sidewall a bit so it's floating then take the reading. Looks like it may be about 1.006 to me.

1.090 to 1.006 would be 11.03% ABV

To get it away from the sidewall and alleviate any bubblies that may be causing it to float, you wanna grab the hydrometer and spin it like a top while it sinks down. Let it sit for a few and then take your reading.

so if it started at around 1.090 and appears to be down at around 1.006;

11.02% ABV (roughly)

Good cider!!:mug::tank:

EDIT: Yeah, what he said ^ lol

Yeah it's going to be strong. I tasted it while I was transferring it to secondary. It's was drinkable but probably only for people who doesn't mind a little kick.

Latest posts

Back