Help me put together a hop bill with these hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ThreeStrandsBrewing

Reaction score
Hey, now -

I am brewing up a pale ale today: 9lb golden promise, 2 lb oats, London 1318 yeast. I have a ton of random hops I need to use up; just not sure what combination and amounts to use. Would like to do a bittering charge, then a whirlpool/hop stand and then 2 dry hop additions.

I've got about a half pound of the following:

Columbus, Nugget, Cascade, Crystal, bravo, willamette.

Let me know what you think re: combinations and potential hop schedules.

Thanks in advance!

BigMack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What type of hop character are you hoping to get? I would probably use the Columbus or Bravo as a bittering addition to your desired IBU level. For flavor I a combination of cascade and crystal would give you a nice citrus/floral note. It really depends on what you're going after though in terms of flavors.

OP
ThreeStrandsBrewing

ThreeStrandsBrewing

Reaction score
@BigMac great suggestion on the crystal/cascade combo. I guess with my limited hop selection I'm going for something citrusy/piney/floral. I haven't used crystal much, so I'm intrigued to pair it with something else that would compliment it. Cascade seems to be a good pick :)

OP
ThreeStrandsBrewing

ThreeStrandsBrewing

Reaction score
@bigmac - great suggestion! With the limited selection, floral/piney/dank/citrus is kind of what I'm targeting

BigMack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Crystal definitely does well with Cascade. I think they compliment each other rather than fighting for the spotlight. Crystal does that with a lot of hops which I like.

You could also just go with Nugget for the late additions and get your flavor there.