Help me put these ingredients together into a recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
So, this summer I asked a friend who was a long-time brewer at a local brewpub for a recipe to make a beer for my mom using some apricots she gave me.

He jotted something down, kinda a basic recipe. I went and bought the grain and hops (and have the fresh apricots frozen in my freezer.

The problem is, the recipe he wrote down got wet (shouldn't have left it in my convertible!) and the ink ran, so I don't really know the procedure he recommended. Since then, he's moved to a different job and I can't get ahold of him.

So, following is a list of what he had me buy. What I'd like to know is recommendations on is mash temp, when to use the hops (it sorta seems like they would only have been bittering, and nothing added at the end but I'm not sure) fermenting temps, and when/how to use the apricots.

To challenge you a little more, I don't remember for sure if I was planning a 10 or 12 gallon batch.

I know mom doesn't want super hoppy beer, and probably wouldn't want it to be very high alcohol either.

Here is what I have:
2 oz Tettnanger Hops 3.4 AAUs
22 lbs German Pilsner Malt
4 lbs Carapils
1272 American Ale II yeast (Currently building up a starter)
Apricots (Frozen whole)

even at 12g size your still gonna get 1.060 OG and with 2 oz and 90 min boil, for the dms from the pilsener malt, still only bout 17 ibus which is fine for a fruit beer. i'd mash low 150* or less and for 75 min.

personally i'd cut the grain bill in half and do a 5g batch and use 1oz hops for 90min and 1oz at 15min for a est ibu of 21 OG 1.065 FG 1.017. most fruit will dry out a beer and add a bitter component. add the fruit(pureed) after initial fermentation has slowed and before secondary/clearing vessel

I might sub in a light crystal malt for some of the carapils. Add a bit of light sweetness along with the addition of some body. Maybe some 20L. Nothing too much; no more than maybe a pound per five gallons. Just enough to help bring out some of the fruits' sweetness.

I might sub in a light crystal malt for some of the carapils. Add a bit of light sweetness along with the addition of some body. Maybe some 20L. Nothing too much; no more than maybe a pound per five gallons. Just enough to help bring out some of the fruits' sweetness.

Can't sub it in, the brew store mixed the grains together in one big bag. (Actually, two bags w/same proportions.)

whats the best way to prevent little buggies from getting into the beer from the apricots? (I know there is more than one way to sanitize them.) I do have some pectic enzyme, so I guess I'm not to scared to cook them a bit.

Also, how many pounds would you recommend using for, say, 12 gallons? We'd like the fruit taste to be pretty noticeable.

Then you're set for two 5gal batches. You'll need to get some more hops, of course.

It's probably best to do it in 5-gallon increments; that way, if she finds your creation foul, neither of you will be sitting on 100 bottles of beer, and if she loves it, you can build good karma by brewing it again. ;)

I think you're fine with Pils and CaraPils only. I think 2 lbs in 5 gallons is a bit much, but like Erik wrote, mash low and long and you can overcome that.

Cheers!

Bob

Edit to add: Don't worry about the fruits. If you're that concerned, thaw them and freeze them three times before adding them to the fermenter. Several freeze/thaw cycles should kill any possible contaminants, or at least do away with enough of them that they won't be a problem post-fermentation. That's my recommendation - at least three freeze/thaw cycles and put 'em in the secondary. Rack the beer on top of the fruit. Wait at least a week before sampling. Sample every other day until you get to a fruit level you like, then package.

Good thoughts, and not a bad idea on splitting it into two batches. I'll definitely think about that.

How many pounds of fruit/gallon beer would you recommend using?

Edit to add: Don't worry about the fruits. If you're that concerned, thaw them and freeze them three times before adding them to the fermenter. Several freeze/thaw cycles should kill any possible contaminants, or at least do away with enough of them that they won't be a problem post-fermentation. That's my recommendation - at least three freeze/thaw cycles and put 'em in the secondary. Rack the beer on top of the fruit. Wait at least a week before sampling. Sample every other day until you get to a fruit level you like, then package.

I've done the freeze/thaw thing three times now.

The fruit turned all mushy and juice leaked out into the plastic bags they are in.

I assume this is normal/okay? And I should just dump the whole gloppy mess into the secondary?

Yup. The whole gloppy mess. The point of several freeze-thaw cycles is to burst the cell walls of whatever's in the bag. In the case of microbial nasties, it kills 'em. In the case of the fruit, the process releases all that delicious juice for easier infusion into your beer.

No, I can't really give advice as to how much fruit to add. My sole experience with fruit in a beer was raspberry puree in Imperial Stout, which is a completely different dynamic. FWIW, 20lbs in 10bbl gave just a hint of raspberry flavor and aroma after a week in secondary.

Bob

Back