Help me plan a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiMithing83

Reaction score
My wife is pregnant with our first child, due in 3 months. I have decided to brew her something for when she can drink again, need some help picking something out.

A little background info on her:
She hates (HATES) hoppy beer.
She likes stouts, but is finicky about them and also doesn't think she'll want one in the spring, or after 9 months of no drinking.
She likes "light" beers (not the BMC kind, but wheats, hefes, blondes, etc.) and brown ales, but hasn't branched out much more than that.

A little background info on me:
I just bottled my second batch, so I'm not very experienced yet.
I do not have lager capabilities.
We are moving soon, and I am not sure what the temperature profile of the new place is yet. I did make sure there is a nice huge closet for my primary and secondary to avoid sunlight... err, I mean her clothes.

So, what are your suggestions? So far I'm considering a Kolsch or Weizenbier.
Thanks!

Congrats! My wife is due in 9 days!! I have a cider ready to go in the next available keg and I did a Maris otter cascade smash that will go in the second available keg. She should be pleased with both. Look up edworts apfelwein. 3 months should be a good time frame for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Congrats! My wife is due in 9 days!! I have a cider ready to go in the next available keg and I did a Maris otter cascade smash that will go in the second available keg. She should be pleased with both. Look up edworts apfelwein. 3 months should be a good time frame for that.

Congrats to you as well! I don't know that a 9% beverage is the best idea for her after 9 months dry, but I want to try that, sounds like a great summer drink. :mug:
I'll finally have something to put in my 5 gal glass carboy :)

I hear you on the 9%. I have that in bottles. The cider for the keg should finish around 5.5.

Congrats on the baby and the new hobby.

I would suggest a fruit beer. When my wife was pregnant last year and we did a strawberry ale and a blueberry ale and she really enjoyed them post birth. You can make them as sweet and as light as you like.

If she doesnt like to fruit beers go with a blonde, kolsch, or Amber.

I hear you on the 9%. I have that in bottles. The cider for the keg should finish around 5.5.

definitely going to make that for myself for this summer, thanks for the heads up
A kolsch is a nice light beer.
I've never had a Kolsch, but just by reading the description it seems like something she'll like. Unfortunately, I'm also seeing that it is cold conditioned... is this necessary? I won't have fridge space to put a fermenter or a full batch of bottles in.

Congrats on the baby and the new hobby.

I would suggest a fruit beer. When my wife was pregnant last year and we did a strawberry ale and a blueberry ale and she really enjoyed them post birth. You can make them as sweet and as light as you like.

If she doesnt like to fruit beers go with a blonde, kolsch, or Amber.

Thanks, congrats on your new little one :)
I thought about a fruit beer, but being so new to the hobby I don't want to risk screwing it up until I've had a few successful batches under my belt. I'll ask her what she thinks about a fruit beer (she's out of town currently), that may change my mind... otherwise, it will probably be a blonde or kolsch if I don't have to cold condition it.

A Kolsch is an ale that ferments a lower temps (perferably around 55-60, but up to 65). You don't really need to lager - or cold condition. Basically a pilsner brewed as an ale.

A Kolsch is an ale that ferments a lower temps (perferably around 55-60, but up to 65). You don't really need to lager - or cold condition. Basically a pilsner brewed as an ale.

hmm... probably out of the question for now then. The wife certainly won't let me turn the thermostat down that low, and I don't have a mini fridge with a controller yet. They are both high on the list though, and I'm constantly checking CL for that fridge.

Ciders are good too. Go to Costco and get 5 gallons of their Kirkland Apple Juice (no sorbates). Pour it in a bucket and pitch some cider yeast from your LHBS (champagne yeast works too), and wait a few weeks to ferment and clear. Should start at about 1.050 (although I add a pound or two of brown sugar to bump it up to 1.065-ish) and finish at 1.005 or less. If this is too dry for your taste, add some potassium sorbate at this time to knock out any remaining yeast and back-sweeten with wine conditioner, or by dumping a couple cans of apple juice concentrate back in (or you can add some fruit juice of your choice to "flavor" it). It's a big hit with my wife - I always keep a keg on hand for her.

Or - go with an amber or pale ale. Neither are supposed to be particularly hoppy (although current tastes have turned them into hop bombs). Personalize them by tweaking the recipe to reflect vital stats of your baby. I just made a bock after my newborn grandson -
12# 8oz Pilsner (12/8 his birthday)
6# 12oz Munich (his weight)
Total malt bill 20.5 # (20.5 inches, his length)
grams of hops equaled time of birth, etc.

You get the idea.

Back