Help me pick my hop schedule for IPA (Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Cascade, Columbus)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a red IPA.

I have the following quantities of these hops left and want to use them all

5.5 gallon batch with OG 1.058

I want to hit 65 IBU's.

What hop schedule would you use?

Here is what I have to work with:
Simcoe: 1oz
Amarillo: 1oz
Citra: 1 oz
Cascade: 2.5 oz
Columbus 1.5 oz

Here is my anticipated hop schedule:
1oz Columbus @ 60
3/4oz Cascade @25
1/4oz Amarillo @ 15 (is this a waste? Should I just whirlpool these?)
1/4oz Simcoe @ 15 (is this a waste? Should I just whirlpool these?)
1/2oz Citra whirlpool
1oz Cascade whirlpool
1/2oz Columbus whirlpool
3/4oz Amarillo Dry hop
3/4oz Simcoe Dry hop
3/4oz Cascade Dry hop.

What would you do differently? Remember I need to hit 65 IBU's.

What I would do: Add .75CTZ and 1 Cascade at 60. I don't know the exact alpha acid% of your hops, but that should give you 60-65IBUs. Everything else, I would mix together and add 2/3 at whirlpool and 1/3 at dry-hop.

What I would do: Add .75CTZ and 1 Cascade at 60. I don't know the exact alpha acid% of your hops, but that should give you 60-65IBUs. Everything else, I would mix together and add 2/3 at whirlpool and 1/3 at dry-hop.

I put the Columbus at 60 because my Columbus is 12.5 AA% My Cascades are only 6% AA

I understand your reasoning. Since you have a lot a Cascade, I thought that using some of it to bitter and saving some of the CTZ for late adds would give you a more complex and less fruit-dominated beer, which I would want in a red.

0.5 oz. Columbus @ 75 or 60
1.0 oz. Columbus @ 15 or 10
1.0 oz. Cascade @ 10 or 5
1.0 oz. Citra @ warm hopstand
1.0 oz. Cascade @ warm hopstand
1.0 oz. Simcoe @ 7-10 day dryhop
1.0 oz. Amarillo @ 7-10 day dryhop
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 7-10 day dryhop

I understand your reasoning. Since you have a lot a Cascade, I thought that using some of it to bitter and saving some of the CTZ for late adds would give you a more complex and less fruit-dominated beer, which I would want in a red.
Remind me what CTZ is? Is that the same as Columbus?

0.5 oz. Columbus @ 75 or 60
1.0 oz. Columbus @ 15 or 10
1.0 oz. Cascade @ 10 or 5
1.0 oz. Citra @ warm hopstand
1.0 oz. Cascade @ warm hopstand
1.0 oz. Simcoe @ 7-10 day dryhop
1.0 oz. Amarillo @ 7-10 day dryhop
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 7-10 day dryhop

I like this, simple and effective...I'm just not sure I'll get enough IBU's with only 1/2oz bittering hop at 12%AA but I'll just adjust it as needed by pulling some of the 15 min additions up to 60 min.

Thanks!

You should get enough IBUs for that batch size, a low 1.058 OG, and that loose schedule I gave you. Work around it to fit your system/recipe until it makes sense.

CTZ=Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus. One hop, three names. Or four. Personally, I'd want closer to 55 IBUs, but it's not my beer. I think you'll get a fine beer by using those hops late in the process; obviously there are innumerable combinations of amounts, times and methods.

CTZ=Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus. One hop, three names. Or four. Personally, I'd want closer to 55 IBUs, but it's not my beer. I think you'll get a fine beer by using those hops late in the process; obviously there are innumerable combinations of amounts, times and methods.

Thanks.

The only reason I want a little higher BU:GU ratio is because this is a RED IPA that has about 3X the amount of Crystal malts as most IPA's for a full bodied, sweeter amber IPA...I figured higher IBU's were necessary to balance the sweetness.

Remember when IPAs were pale and were formulated to survive the long, slow boat ride to India? Now they come in every color imaginable and are best drank ultra-fresh. How times change...I see what you mean about the IBUs vs. sweetness. Do you want it thick and sticky-sweet, or just red & caramelly? I brewed a reddish-brown IPA with .6lb Special B, but no other caramel malts,the gravity went from 76 to 14, in line with a standard IPA. Very tasty.

Back