Help me out here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
so if I buy a recipe...sayyy..phat tire ale from NB and I do a full boil, I'm supposed to reduce the bittering hops by 1/3 to adjust for utilization...but if i go all grain, there is no mention of reducing bittering hops, just add xxx at 60 minutes and xxx at 1 minutes...I don't get it, i'm doing a full boil with all grain...hopefully anyway based on efficiency...so, i'm kinda confused and trying to move to all grain.

Yes, if you're doing a full boil, and you want to come as close to the beer intended in the recipe, you'll want to drop your boiling hops by about 15%.

With all grain, you don't really have partial boils, so you don't need to adjust the bittering hops.

Yes, if you're doing a full boil, and you want to come as close to the beer intended in the recipe, you'll want to drop your boiling hops by about 15%.

With all grain, you don't really have partial boils, so you don't need to adjust the bittering hops.

thanks, but i guess my question is...I don't relly see a difference in hops in the recipe between extract and grain. in other words, if the recipe calls for 1 oz xxx at 60 min and 1/2 oz yyy at 15 minutes in an extract recipe and it tells you to reduce bittering by 1/3 for a full boil, why does it say 1 oz xxx and 1/2 yyy for all grain when it assumes full boil....why doesn't it reduce the bittering hops for a full boil all grain, yet it does fora full boil extract?

Could be way off on this, but hop utilization correlates with the gravity going into the boil, so maybe they're figuring for differences due to efficency in all grain vs. extract.

I would say that you 'd need to adjust if you are doing a "late extract addition", not a full boil. The reason is that the lighter gravity at the early stage of the boil is going to pull more hops bitter than the higher gravity of a full boil.

I can't see much difference between an extract full boil and an AG full boil. I'm probably missing something.

The reason you don't adjust the hops in AG brewing is that the recipe already assumes it's a full boil.

You only adjust hops when you are changing things in a given recipe. Like, when the recipe says to do a 2.5 gallon boil, but you choose to do a 6 gallon boil. If your recipe changes, your hops utilization changes. If you do a recipe that already assumes a full boil, then you don't change the hops.

I think the point is that both the Extract and AG recipes show 1 ounce of each hop, but the former is written to assume a partial boil. I don't know why this would be the case.

Back