Help me make good beer again!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I am going to switch to Iodopher anyways.

Yes, I will change out my plastic, and rubber stoppers. I have plastic pails, but I only use them for soaking bottles and parts in sanitizer. Oh, and the bottling bucket. But the beer tastes funky before going in to the bottle bucket.

Irish Red recipe:

.08 lbs. English Chocolate Malt
.48 lbs. Crystal Malt 60°L
.165 lbs. Toasted Pale Malt
.50 lbs. Weyermann CaraRed
.125 lbs. Roasted Barley
4.00 lbs. Muntons Dry Amber
2.00 lbs. Muntons Dry Light
1.75 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.50 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 teaspoons Irish Moss
Yeast : easYeast Irish Ale

delboy said:
You might also want to try adding 1/2 a crushed campden tablet to your brewing water pre-brew, this got rid of the 'homebrew' taste for me :ban: .

What's the theory behind this?

the_bird said:
There is a kit out there that does exactly this. Go listen to some of the Basic Brewing Radio podcasts from last year - they did this over a series of two or three episodes. The kit comes with a couple samples of like twenty different flaws, you add a powder to a neutral-tasting commerical beer (BBR used Coors). IIRC, the kit was like $100.

I listened to that show and I think that kit sucks. There seem to be some pretty common off-flavors missing:

- astringency
- diacetyl
- acedealdehyde

and is price point is not suited for the average home brewer.

koG,

I did have a yeasty taste/aroma in my first Maibock. It took very long to ferment due to a low pitching rate, but the yeastyness was gone after extended lagering. As the others said, try a commonly used yeast like Wyeast 1056 or WLP 001 just to rule out the yeast source.

Kai

mew said:
What's the theory behind this?

the campden tablet is sodium metabisuphite it mops up any any chlorine or more importantly chloroamine (which is not boiled off) which the water suppliers use to sanitize your tap water.
Left to their own devices these chemicals react with other compounds in the wort to give you nasty tasting phenolic compounds (medicinal taste).
Obviously if you use bottled water you don't need to worry about them.

Back