Help me make a Sippy Cup IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Goofy question time. I want to call my next brew Sippy Cup IPA. As the name suggests, it needs to be juicy. I have just received a bunch of Galaxy and Strata. Neither has to be part of the recipe, but it would help.

If you were going to call your beer Sippy Cup IPA, what would you put in your recipe. No rules here, just looking for ideas.

I'd honestly make a session NEIPA and call that Sippy Cup. Just sounds right to me haha

As for Galaxy/Strata, give it a shot. I've got a Strata/ElDorado/Alpha Aroma Milkshake IPA coming out of the fermenter tomorrow that so far tastes fantastic. Strata can be a bit dank if used in excess, so use it 1:2 with your other hops. Maybe try adding something like Mosaic or Amarillo to round out the palate since both Galaxy and Strata have very distinct flavors

Very nice. Will infant oatmeal work as well?
Sure, and if you want to make it a milkshake IPA, add the pureed baby foods instead. Maybe a nice carrot/mango/pineapple, sweet potato/mango/kale; or apple/zucchini/spinach/strawberry? There are some easier fruit combos too. Depends on how much down the little kid/baby sippy cup theme you want.

For a label you could take inspiration from the Gerber labels.

Citra/Amarillo/Strata/Galaxy is a good combination. Lots of hops at 160°F and in dry hop. Very little in boil.

Sure, and if you want to make it a milkshake IPA, add the pureed baby foods instead. Maybe a nice carrot/mango/pineapple, sweet potato/mango/kale; or apple/zucchini/spinach/strawberry? There are some easier fruit combos too. Depends on how much down the little kid/baby sippy cup theme you want.

For a label you could take inspiration from the Gerber labels.
OK, while I know a little about NEIPAs, having made one or two, I know nothing about milkshakes. Where is a good place to learn about same? Are they normally made with pureed fruits, or will I need to work out substitution formulas along with everything else? Somehow, I don't think BeerSmith is gonna help me with this one.

Instead of oat or wheat malt, use infant rice or oatmeal cereal.
OK, I've not bought baby food for over thirty years, but now I am reminded that baby oatmeal is a wet food. If my recipe would normally call for 1 pound of dry oatmeal, how much wet oatmeal do I put in its place? At least Gerber's so-called single grain oatmeal does not seem to contain additions other than oat flours and water.

I'm thinking maybe the Gerber fruit purees might make more sense than this.

OK, I've not bought baby food for over thirty years, but now I am reminded that baby oatmeal is a wet food. If my recipe would normally call for 1 pound of dry oatmeal, how much wet oatmeal do I put in its place? At least Gerber's so-called single grain oatmeal does not seem to contain additions other than oat flours and water.

I'm thinking maybe the Gerber fruit purees might make more sense than this.

I don't know much about either personally. Milkshake IPAs from what it appears from reading seems to be a NEIPA with lactose and sometimes fruit. The suggestions were a little tongue-in-cheek.

Infant cereal now come in dry form as well. When it's prepared, it has the consistency of cream of wheat. I believe the ingredients are grain flour fortified with vitamins and minerals.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GERBER-Single-Grain-Rice-Baby-Cereal-16-oz/23803902
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GERBER-Single-Grain-Oatmeal-Baby-Cereal-16-oz/23803903

My first thought was that you were just joking, but the more I thought about it, the less I found wrong with the ideas.

Simple fruit purees have to work in a milk shake, and oatmeal is at home in any NEIPA grain bill. Extra vitamins seem unlikely to hurt anything, considering how loose the entire style is with ingredients. Flour, anyone?

I am traveling right now, lack access to BeerSmith, and don't want to try putting together a recipe on a cell phone screen, but my gut tells me that this joke has legs.

My first thought was that you were just joking, but the more I thought about it, the less I found wrong with the ideas.

Simple fruit purees have to work in a milk shake, and oatmeal is at home in any NEIPA grain bill. Extra vitamins seem unlikely to hurt anything, considering how loose the entire style is with ingredients. Flour, anyone?

For a theme beer, I can see throwing in the infant cereal and fruit puree or use fruit-forward hops instead. The cereal would be a bit expensive in the long run. If you can make a pear and spinach NEIPA work, I think that's more credit to you as a brewer. I'm not that brave and would probably stick with a apple/banana or mango/pear combo instead.

I am traveling right now, lack access to BeerSmith, and don't want to try putting together a recipe on a cell phone screen, but my gut tells me that this joke has legs.

That's one of the reasons I've never tried beersmith. Mobile access has been a key feature that I've been needing.

IMG_20191129_175019184.jpg
I wound up using oatmeal, puffed wheat, and blood orange puree as my baby foods. Called it Sippy Cup of Blood. It came out great!

I'd honestly make a session NEIPA and call that Sippy Cup. Just sounds right to me haha

As for Galaxy/Strata, give it a shot. I've got a Strata/ElDorado/Alpha Aroma Milkshake IPA coming out of the fermenter tomorrow that so far tastes fantastic. Strata can be a bit dank if used in excess, so use it 1:2 with your other hops. Maybe try adding something like Mosaic or Amarillo to round out the palate since both Galaxy and Strata have very distinct flavors

How much lactose did you use ?

I used a pound of lactose. Here are my percentages:

Rice Hulls 7.4 %
Pilsner Malt 51.9 %
Oats, Malted 14.8 %
Oats, Flaked 7.4 %
Wheat, Torrified 7.4 %
Honey Malt 3.7 %
Milk Sugar 7.4 %

3.00 lb Blood Orange Puree (Secondary)
Vanilla Bean (1) in a vodka tincture

IBUs totaled 39. Galaxy/Strata in a 2-1 ratio at ten minutes and in a 175F 20-minute whirlpool. 1-1 ratios in three and seven day dry hops.
Hansen Ale yeast has somehow turned into my house yeast.

I was really driven by the sippy cup joke in deciding to make this. I had almost no experience with milk shake IPAs. I decided to try some of them, and wasn't all that blown away by what I tasted (unless you count Other Half's "Daydream" series as milk shakes). So, while I went in with low expectations, I was extremely happy with what came out.

Today I will try to Make IPA Clear Again. All barley, a CTZ Hop Shot for bittering, then flavor with Galaxy/Strata. I may skip the whirlpool and/or the dry hop(s) in hopes of upping the clarity. Stay tuned.

Whoa a pound ! I use a pound in my choc milk stout . I was thinking half or 1/4 # . What was the body like ? I've never tried one but I was told it's not as thick and full as a stout .

I always use somewhere between 1/2 and a pound of lactose depending on the abv. If it’s under 6% I’ll use half a lb, 6-7% I use .75, and anything over 7 I use a lb

Back