Help me make a good Summit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malticulous

Desert Gecko
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Batch size: 5.0 gallons Original Gravity 1.068 (@80%) 58 IBU

10 lb (87%) American Two-row Pale
1 lb (9%) Wheat
8 oz (4%) Crystal 60L

First wort 0.5 oz Sterling leaf 7.0aa
60 min 0.25 Summit pellet 18.0
20 min 0.5 Summit pellet 18.0
15 min 0.5 Summit pellet 18.0
10 min 0.5 Summit pellet 18.0
0 min 0.5 Sterling leaf 7.0
Dry hop 0.25 Cascade leaf 7.1
Dry hop 0.25 Summit pellet 18.0

Any thoughts/ideas to improve this? I have lots more of everything in the recipe.

I stepped it up a little;

Batch size: 5.0 gallons Original Gravity 1.072 (@80%) 62 IBU

10 lb (84%) American Two-row Pale
12 oz (6%) Crystal 60L
8 oz (4%) Wheat
8 oz (4%) Cane Sugar
2 oz (1%) Melanoidin Malt

First wort 14g Sterling leaf 7.0aa
60 min 7g Summit pellet 18.0
20 min 14g Summit pellet 18.0
15 min 14g Summit pellet 18.0
10 min 14g Summit pellet 18.0
5 mins 7g Summit pellet 18.0
5 mins 7g Cascade leaf 7.1
0 min 0 14g Sterling leaf 7.0
Dry hop 7g Cascade leaf 7.1
Dry hop 7g Summit pellet 18.0

Here is the final recipe.

Batch size: 5.0 gallons Original Gravity 1.062 (@72%) 62 IBU

10 lb (84%) American Two-row Pale
12 oz (6%) Crystal 60L
12 oz (4%) Wheat
2 oz (1%) Melanoidin Malt

First wort 14g Sterling leaf 7.0aa
60 min 21g Glacier pellet 6.0
20 min 14g Summit pellet 18.0
15 min 14g Summit pellet 18.0
10 min 14g Summit pellet 18.0
5 mins 7g Summit pellet 18.0
5 mins 7g Cascade leaf 7.1
0 min 0 14g Sterling leaf 7.0
Dry hop 7g Cascade leaf 7.1
Dry hop 7g Summit pellet 18.0

Pitched 1.3 cups US-05 slurry

Man I racked this yesterday and the aroma was just heavenly. I almost did not want to dry hop it, but, I did.
This is what I racked it onto:
7g Cascade leaf 7.1
7g Summit pellet 18.0
7g Sterling leaf 7.0

I'm glad I didn't add any sugar. It finished at 1.010, 7.1% ABV. I can defiantly taste the Melanoidin in it but it blends quite well into the bitterness. I primed it for 2.3 volumes. In a week it should be well carbed and tasty.

I have been brewing with Summit a lot lately. An excellent hop. the only bad thing I can say about it is, the tangerine flavor from late additions seem to fade after about 3 weeks kegged. I have been mixing with amarillo trying to keep the flavor longer.

I used Summit in a ten gallon batch of Pale. I used US-05 in half and Nottingham in the other. The US-05 screams of tangerine, the Nottingham not near as much. Nottingham also finished one point lower. It's not ready to bottle. I just took gravity readings and bottled a single bottle to get an idea if I want to dry hop it or not. I may mix the two together when I bottle.

This beer is pretty good. I have had many commercial examples that in my judgment fall short of it. To my taste the Sterling spices up the Summit just right and it does have a good malt balance to it. It's still young but poured clear, with decent head and good lacing. The bitterness does not overpower the flavor but still tickles the tongue.

I will also shortly be brewing an IPA with summit and palisades. I'm dry hopping with summit and I've never used the hop. Are you happy with the dry hop flavor you got with what you've used? I was thinking of dry-hopping with .5 oz of summit.

Yes I'm happy with it. I really enjoy Cascade as a dry hop. I also like the flavor and aroma of Sterling but like Summit this is the first time I've dry hopped with it. I should have bottled a few before I racked over the hops to make a comparison.

I have not yet decided if I'm going to dry hop my Summit pale ale. When I had the tester I bottled I decided that if I do dry hop it it wont be with Summit. I want to change it up a bit. I think I'll just bottle the first five gallons then decide. I've been temped to put hops in with a really thin priming solution and boil it for 5 minutes for 2.5 gallons and not the other half. I have no idea what that would do but being post fermentation it should leave some aroma.

Latest posts

Back