Help me identify my Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countchunkula

Reaction score
So I planted 2 rhizomes each of 2 different varieties (Centennial and Willamette). Of course I neglected to mark which was which, assuming that I would remember.:eek:

Anyone know a good way to tell the difference?

Here's some photos:

Variety A

IMG00145-20120614-1131.jpg

Variety B (2 plants)

IMG00144-20120614-1131.jpg

IMG00143-20120614-1130.jpg

Creeping Charlie in both pictures. That I know for sure.

Tough to tell, but I'd guess the top is Willamette and the bottom is Centennial. I grow both of those varieties (two towns over! Howdy neighbor!).

You'll be able to tell when you can smell the cones.

I don't have a willamette, but my centennial has a distinct purple coloration on the mature bines, whereas my other varieties the bines are very much green.

Creeping Charlie in both pictures. That I know for sure.

Tough to tell, but I'd guess the top is Willamette and the bottom is Centennial. I grow both of those varieties (two towns over! Howdy neighbor!).

You'll be able to tell when you can smell the cones.

Thanks, Ty. I guess I've got to wait till harvest time to be certain. Of the 4 I planted only 3 sprouted. I'd prefer 2 centennials, but I'll be happy either way.

How did yours do first year? We should have very similar growing conditions being only a few miles apart.:mug:

Thanks, Ty. I guess I've got to wait till harvest time to be certain. Of the 4 I planted only 3 sprouted. I'd prefer 2 centennials, but I'll be happy either way.

How did yours do first year? We should have very similar growing conditions being only a few miles apart.:mug:

Definitely similar...similarly hot and dry this year. I think we've had 1/4" of rain in nearly 2 months...not good.

My first years were pretty bad, actually...no cones. But I think my soil prep was terrible. I planted a few more 1st years this year and they're doing better. Yours look very healthy, so hopefully you'll get some cones!

And I could very easily be wrong about which is which, just a guess.

Back