Help me get a job at the brewery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeFlynn74 said:
Damn bro Awesome! I wonder if they have any Anchorage Positions?

Course I know they could use better advertising and better sales reps.

AK Amber is by far not thier best. But their most popular. Im really liking their new IPA though.

Im in Anchorage so hit me up if you want
They don't have a brewery in Anchorage, but you could try to get a job at Midnight Sun Brewing Company. I hear that their beers are AWESOME! I've only had a few of them but they have all been fantastic.

http://www.midnightsunbrewing.com/

And as for your assessment of the Alaskan Amber, I am going to have to respectfully disagree. I think that their Smoked Porter, Baltic Porter, Big Nugget Barleywine, and Winter Ales are all better. That's just my opinion though

??? I said Amber was more popular- But not thier best.

Kinda like what you said.

I forgot Midnight Sun was here-

MikeFlynn74 said:
??? I said Amber was more popular- But not thier best.

Kinda like what you said.

I forgot Midnight Sun was here-
My bad, I totally misread that. You are absolutely right about it being the most popular though. In fact, one of the interview questions they asked me is how I would feel about brewing the same beer 80% of the time.

You should look into Midnight Sun though, as I believe they are rated one of the best breweries in the country. Lots of high 90s in there....

http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/midnight-sun-brewing-company/424/

MikeFlynn74 said:
I doubt Midnight could match my salary-

But its worth a look!
Like I said earlier, I took a huge paycut for this job at Alaskan Brewing Company, but it's worth it to me to be able to do something that I am passionate about. I guess it's up to each person to decide what is most important to them

And if nothing else, you should definitely head over there to drink a few pints! One of these days I am going to make it over to Anchorage and that will be one of my first stops

Awesome- Unfortunately I have a small village to provide for-

Maybe I will make a good enough beer to share too! lol

Holy crap! Congrats! What a great Christmas and New Year's you'll have. Keep us posted with your progress.
:mug: :ban: :D :rockin:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

This has been the most bittersweet week of my entire life!

The awesome news:

My wife, Leeann, was notified the other day that she was accepted into Creighton University School of Dentistry for the incoming class of 2008! We are still waiting to hear back from 15 schools but we are so relieved that she will be starting next year! This has been such and incredible journey for us both, and finally she is getting the opportunity to show what she can do. It is incredible to think that after all of her hard work and perseverance over the past several years, that in less than five years she may very well be Dr. Leeann Welch, DDS.

The horrible news:

Now I have to go and tell the brewery that I will only be able to stay for 7 months, and see if they still want to go with me or take someone else. On one hand, I don't want to miss out on this opportunity but on the other hand, I can't in good conscience take a job there knowing that I am going to be moving in 7 months. They are great people and I really appreciate the opportunity that they have offered me and I just can't screw them over like that. My only hope is that they take pity on me and realize how much this job means to me, and let me have it anyways. I will understand if they don't but I will be crushed :(

I guess I will just have to pray about it and hope for the best. At least I will be able to sleep at night knowing that I did the right thing.

That's awesome that your wife got in to dental school!

That is a rough desicion you have in front of you, at least you are in the right mind set though. I hope that they will still let you work there for a while. Either way good things can only come your way when you make the right desiscions in life.

cheers

fightguy said:
Hopefully, I'll be in this pic next year :rockin:
I'm not in that picture but I was right there at the GABF :D

Midnight Sun is pretty good stuff. They took a Gold medal at GABF for the Specialty Beer Category I believe.

Sucks you may have to quit so soon... They seem to have positions available every few months so they're probably use to seeing people go :p Have you started yet? What have you been doing/learning to do?

Tell your wife to chill and that your dreams are more important than hers.

*do not listen to anything I say*

SPLASTiK said:
I'm not in that picture but I was right there at the GABF :D

Midnight Sun is pretty good stuff. They took a Gold medal at GABF for the Specialty Beer Category I believe.

Sucks you may have to quit so soon... They seem to have positions available every few months so they're probably use to seeing people go :p Have you started yet? What have you been doing/learning to do?
I don't start until January 2nd :(

But yeah, Midnight Sun has some great stuff. I would have liked to try their Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter

Inspired by this thread and general disdain towards my boss, I sent an e-mail to Goose Island and got a quick reply requesting a resume. I might play along and send one out just to see where it takes me.

Cheesefood said:
Inspired by this thread and general disdain towards my boss, I sent an e-mail to Goose Island and got a quick reply requesting a resume. I might play along and send one out just to see where it takes me.

Don't you have two houses still? ;)

Cheesefood said:

Might as well inquire at The Ram while you're at it!:D ;)

Tough circumstance, fightguy! What a situation to be in.

the_bird said:
Don't you have two houses still? ;)
Marketing side, not brewing side. I'm not looking to get grain under my nails but I will risk a paper-cut.

By the way, I'm renting House #1. Lease starts in a week.

McKBrew said:
Sorry man, but you get kudos for supporting the SWMBO and her career.
It really wasn't even a question. She has devoted the past 5 years of her life to preparing herself for this opportunity, so we can't pass this up. Hopefully I can find another brewery to work at wherever we end up. As of right now, we are moving to Omaha, Nebraska but she has an interview at the University of Arizona on Jan 8th and another interview at the University of Washington on the 21st of January. We really hope that she gets in either at UW or Oregon Health Science University since we are both from Oregon (plus the beer scene there is the best anywhere).

If you guys could keep us in your prayers we would greatly appreciate it.

MikeFlynn74 said:
My wife wants to move somewhere warmer. I agreed we could- as soon as I can get a job in Hawaii
Except for that job at Alaskan Brewing Co, I will just be glad to get the hell out of Juneau

Back