Help me find an insulated cooler for 6 pack bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Reaching out to the experts. I’m looking for an insulated cooler that can hold a six pack bottle of beer.

This year I’ve started up a small camping area on our land. As part of people reserving a spot, I’m giving them a variety of complimentary home brew.

I’m looking for something ideally that would fit the theme of camping, maybe have a bottle opener with it. These are the fancy pleasantries though.

It must be able to hold a six pack. Not interested in anything bigger. It must be able to hold ice in addition to the beer, or keep cold somehow. It’s possible I’ll be leaving bottles outdoors a few hours in the shade.

One cool story from a camper so far is that I received a very professionally written review of a low carb smoked lager. I knew when reading it that the guy who wrote it knew his stuff. I’ve never sent any of my beers to competitions and have never had someone write about them … that actually knew what they were saying. Anyways, long story short, he was the former owner and founder of New Belgium Brewing Company. I had no clue who he was before. Very cool guy.

I once had a perfect size rigid cooler for a six pack plus ice or a couple of ice packs but someone decided they needed it more than I did. But it was long ago in my corporate softball-playing days and now for the life of me I cannot remember if it was an Igloo or something else.

Now...everything is cans (as predicted a decade ago) or wine bottles - not even Igloo provides a hint how many 12oz beer bottles might fit in any of their cooler. And it seems soft-sided "coolers" are everywhere in what I expect (9-10 quarts) is the size needed, but the geometry (specifically how tall the inside is) is less than clear in many cases...

Cheers!

I have several small coolers which would probably meet the OP’s requirements. They have been used as lunch boxes to take to the field and ride around in a tractor, combine, semi, etc. all day, and have lived hard lives. I’m at the city house right now and the coolers are at the farm. I will be back there tomorrow afternoon sometime and will try to remember to post some pics.

Amazon is full of soft sided coolers which I’m probably going to end up going with. Looking for something unique for camping customers.

They have these at Wally. Cheap, does the trick.
83dd3f92-649b-4406-bcea-38724e80c59a_1.820afcb6e0990e055bde0de7e377fcae.jpeg

Maybe the small white styrofoam type you see at convenience stores , thier cheap @ plentiful however they do usually hold more than six bottles but that would give you plenty of room for ice.
Not very formal but you probably wouldn’t have to worry about them walking off when your clients return home..

VERY happy with my Titan 16can size. You can put a six in the bottom with a blue ice with extra room and then set the tray on top and throw a snack bar or sandwiches and they stay out of any moisture potential. It doesn't fit in the trunk of my bike so I use a 6 pack Coleman when I ride.
I have been out with that 16pack Titan in the back seat of my motorcycle with a single blue ice all day. Bungie from hand hold across and to the other out literally all day in 90 degree weather. Actually fits really nice there with some cold flavored waters and come crackers or fruit while riding in the hills of NC. Firm plastic side insert and all and was reasonable priced since I won't purchase the Mercedes brands.

Got it from Amazon (Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze Zipperless Hardbody Cooler) for about 34.00 last spring, which is not the cheapest but very highly rated and I'd add mine to that list of very happy with it. Just a bit large unless wife and I go on a road trip in the car and then the size is great.
Coleman is good for 6 Hint Waters or 3-4 plus a couple snacks. Not quite as good as the Titan but the Coleman does well in the motorcycle trunk all day, and was cheap. Got it because there is room for that and my helmet both.

I have a Li'l Oscar - Coleman 5272 - and 12 ounce bottles are too tall to stand up inside, but one can lay them on their sides and stack them three high for a sixer with some ice in the spaces. Not optimal but it'll do in a pinch...

Cheers!

I second the Titan, I put 6 bottles and 2 ice packs and can float all afternoon in my buddies pool. If any are left they're still cold the next evening. Most important is .....you don't need a pool you just need to know a guy.

Under the OPs circumstances/usage model I think I'd be looking for the least expensive yet functional solution, which would likely leave out anything branded...

Cheers!

I have a Li'l Oscar - Coleman 5272 - and 12 ounce bottles are too tall to stand up inside, but one can lay them on their sides and stack them three high for a sixer with some ice in the spaces.
Only issue is the yeast - I prefer it stay on the bottom of the bottle! 🙂

I have an old Rubbermaid cooler that has about 10 quart capacity that holds a six pack of bottles when standing upright, but it will hold more than that. You will have to get a cooler with larger capacity than you would need for 6 cans, because most of them are wider than they are tall. I like the rigid, flat-topped coolers as opposed to pointed like the playmate or soft-sided because they can be used as a stool to sit on.

I didn’t forget, I just didn’t get back to the farm as soon as I had planned.

I’ve been using this Coleman cooler for a lunchbox for several years. It will hold tall bottles and a six pack will leave plenty of room for ice. In the picture, 4 of the bottles are those tall, skinny, New Belgium bottles. The lid fits very tight and stuff stays cold for hours unless it’s in really hot location.

Home Depot has them for 10 bucks.
93AE219A-87F4-48FF-8192-B86BE6242E3F.jpeg
1C749958-0DD6-41AC-BBCE-C9D779739539.jpeg

Back