Help me figure this one out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jimmywit

Reaction score
So I tried to bre a stout here was the recipe.
5# roasted barley
.5# black patent
.5# flaked barley

7# plain dme

1 oz cluster-60
.5 oz east kent goldings-45
.5 oz east kent goldings-15
.5 oz east kent goldings-5

1oz licroice root-15
irish moss-15
My OG was 1.064 My FG is 1.024 and when I bottled looked and tasted more like a Scottish Ale then anything. Still tasted great but what went wrong.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I assume you have a typo there- .5 pounds of roasted barley?

Anyway, aside from too many hops for a stout, it looks ok to me. I don't usually see black patent, and roasted, and flaked barley together, but I don't think that's the issue here.

When you say it's more like a Scottish, do you mean sweet? Lack of roasty-ness? I'm not sure what you're tasting. If it's finished at 1.024, then I'd say it would definitely be too sweet for a dry stout.

OP
jimmywit

jimmywit

Reaction score
Yes typo .5 roasted...Again yes sweet. Not to mention that only gave me a 60% attenuation. I am not sure if that is ok but seems low to me... It is sweet with some but not alot of rosted flavor. I have a scottish microbrew in the fridge and it just taste more like that then it would a stout. Also the color is no were near a stout. It is reddish brown. I am just trying to figure why it turned out the way it did. It was in the primary for 20 days

whatsleftofyou

Third Eye Pried Wide
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yooper, I don't see anywhere where he says that this is a dry stout. Also disagree with the generalization that this is "too many hops for a stout" without knowing what substyle the OP was going for. American and Foreign Extra Stouts can be up to 75 IBU. Looking at the recipe I can't say that it nails any substyle specifically but it's closest to an American Stout with English hops.

That said, when I punched this recipe into BeerSmith I get you at 31 SRM, the low end for a stout. That's where your color issue is...get some more roast and other dark malts in there.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yooper, I don't see anywhere where he says that this is a dry stout. Also disagree with the generalization that this is "too many hops for a stout" without knowing what substyle the OP was going for. American and Foreign Extra Stouts can be up to 75 IBU. Looking at the recipe I can't say that it nails any substyle specifically but it's closest to an American Stout with English hops.

That said, when I punched this recipe into BeerSmith I get you at 31 SRM, the low end for a stout. That's where your color issue is...get some more roast and other dark malts in there.
I mean too many hops for a stout, in the later additions. I like my stouts to have a strong bittering addition, with maybe one flavor addition. I think it's too many flavor/aroma additions, while possibly not enough bittering. I assumed dry stout, because it doesn't have any caramel malt or lactose for a sweet stout, no oatmeal for an oatmeal stout, no American hops for an American stout, etc. It was an assumption on my part, trying to put it in a style, and I could very well be wrong.

The recipe is lacking in dark malts, but I'm not much for black patent so I don't know what it brings. I would use chocolate malt, more roasted, even more flaked, rather than the patent. I also have no idea what licorce root would do.

I'm most concerned about the 60% attenuation, and the gravity stuck at 1.024. I'd repitch, probably with an attenuative dry yeast like Nottingham or on a yeast cake from another batch.

OP
jimmywit

jimmywit

Reaction score
I used the black patent for the color, I assumed it would do the job. I am also concerned with the 60%. I used safale -04. The recipe itself came from several American recipes that I put togeter on my own, I could not get all the hops I needed at my LHBS so I had to improvise. The licorice root was for a counter balance of the bitterness, It contains a natural acid (glycyrrhizin) that is sweet, I just don't think it added all the sweetness I am tasting.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used the black patent for the color, I assumed it would do the job. I am also concerned with the 60%. I used safale -04. The recipe itself came from several American recipes that I put togeter on my own, I could not get all the hops I needed at my LHBS so I had to improvise. The licorice root was for a counter balance of the bitterness, It contains a natural acid (glycyrrhizin) that is sweet, I just don't think it added all the sweetness I am tasting.
Did you use some brewing software? I wonder what your IBUs are.

If you don't have enough bittering to balance out the low attenuation (and that's way too low for S04- I'd repitch), the sweet malts, and the licorice, the beer will certainly be sweet.

OP
jimmywit

jimmywit

Reaction score

If you don't have enough bittering to balance out the low attenuation (and that's way too low for S04- I'd repitch), the sweet malts, and the licorice, the beer will certainly be sweet.[/QU

OP
jimmywit

jimmywit

Reaction score

If you don't have enough bittering to balance out the low attenuation (and that's way too low for S04- I'd repitch), the sweet malts, and the licorice, the beer will certainly be sweet.
36 IBUs, I as well thought it was low for S04, I just don't know why it was so low. I posted the recipe on the forum a couple of weeks ago and seemed to have a good response. That is why I stuck with it.

whatsleftofyou

Third Eye Pried Wide
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yooper - Understood on the late additions, just wanted to be clear. I had this at 46 IBUs so it's a bit high for some styles but in range for others.

Black patent is OK to use in a stout but in general next time I'd recommend going with some medium/dark crystal malts, chocolate, and roast.

OP
jimmywit

jimmywit

Reaction score
Well Thanks to you both for the input. I just hope I can make it work next time. Thats the fun in it all you screw up but still have a good beer. The 1.024 does still bother me.