Help me figure out this Brewmaster's Select recipe/instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apologeticus

Reaction score
Ok, bought a Brewmaster's Select English Sweet Porter kit. Here are pics of the ingredients and instructions that came with it. (hope you can see this ok so I don't have to type it all out)

20091202-cx6hg113b8akdrsw6248gym8dk.jpg

20091202-ewp2iggje923t6mjw4g7iprrjk.jpg

1) There are no amounts/weight for the specialty grains. Any ideas how to figure this out? They're all in the same bag together.

2) This seems to indicate a 45 min boil. Is that right?

3) Anything else you find strange about these instructions? Thoughts for changes/improvements?

4) If I want to up the ABV a bit, what would you suggest?

1. They can go in the grain bag together without a problem.

2. That's what it looks like.

3. Yep- those are not good instructions. I'd NOT add the extract before the grains. I'd steep the grains for 20 minutes at 150-155 degrees, then remove them and bring the liquid to a boil. THEN add the extract and when it boils again, add the bittering hops.

4. You can add more fermentables if you want, but then you'll want to adjust the hopping as well. I'm not sure a high ABV sweet porter would be what I would want, but you could do that if you'd like. You could add another pound or two of extract, but then the beer might be sweeter than you'd like.

1. They can go in the grain bag together without a problem.

2. That's what it looks like.

3. Yep- those are not good instructions. I'd NOT add the extract before the grains. I'd steep the grains for 20 minutes at 150-155 degrees, then remove them and bring the liquid to a boil. THEN add the extract and when it boils again, add the bittering hops.

4. You can add more fermentables if you want, but then you'll want to adjust the hopping as well. I'm not sure a high ABV sweet porter would be what I would want, but you could do that if you'd like. You could add another pound or two of extract, but then the beer might be sweeter than you'd like.
ok thanks. I knew the grains could all go in the bag together. my issue is figure out the amounts. I wanna be able to plug that into brew software. will call LHBS tomorrow to see if they can tell me.

I'll take your advice and not try to boost the ABV.

Back