Help me figure efficiency please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primer

Reaction score
I've been reading lots of posts and some websites trying to figure out how to figure my efficiency, but ive been getting conflicting formulas / missing info.

I'm doing all-grain with a Rubbermaid 10gal MLT.
11# us 2row
.6# crystal 60L ( is this included in the formula? )
5 gal end batch size
O.G. 1.052

Is there more info I need to provide? I just need someone to give me a solid formula on how to figure it. I know us 2row has a possible 37 per # points

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Without knowing OG into the boil, I got 61.88%. Beersmith has an efficiency tool. $20 for the software

Im not an expert on all grain and have never made an all grain batch yet but just from researching and reading my guess is you should have at least 1.06 gravity with that much 2 row at least. Oh and make some spent grain cookies and bread, i just used some and wow it is the best bread and the cookies are like oatmeal kinda but leave little popcorn thinginys in your mouth kinda like popcorn but is good,hella fiber too. I would feel shame personally throwing that much grain away not saying you are but to each is own. Cheers.

After my mash I OGed @ 1.087 before sparging. Don't know the volume tho.

With 75% efficiency the SG should be about 1.063 (per Beersmith)

At pre-boil volume i take a gravity reading. Then, after boil i take another gravity reading. Your SG will increase due to evaporation. Use temperature correction for accurate measurement.

So something like 1.040 @ 7 gal preboil vs 1.052 @ 5 gal post is the info I need? Thought it was specific to malt type, etc?

I've been reading lots of posts and some websites trying to figure out how to figure my efficiency, but ive been getting conflicting formulas / missing info.

I'm doing all-grain with a Rubbermaid 10gal MLT.
11# us 2row
.6# crystal 60L ( is this included in the formula? )
5 gal end batch size
O.G. 1.052

Is there more info I need to provide? I just need someone to give me a solid formula on how to figure it. I know us 2row has a possible 37 per # points

Download the free Brewzor app or whatever brewing app that Apple will let u have and go to the Attenuation calculator. all you need is ur OG, your current gravity and the the current temp of your sample (since true gravity is measured at 60F, anything above or below will have to be taken into your calculation). Don't make it more work than it has to be, it's easy, use the app.

"Are you a piss-drunk alcoholic? There's an app for that"

There is no way to know your efficiency at all if you "dont know the volume" Know your volumes exactly and then you can begin to know your efficiency. Without that it is completely impossible to calculate.

Back