Help me diagnose this flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Well, I "In-Keg-Dry-Hopped" with a little device that has some plastic on it. I know, I know, not the best Idea, but wtf.

My beer tastes a bit grassy, but not like too over dry hopped. It tastes a bit alcoholic like each beer has a 1/3 shot of vodka perfectly blended in with it. It's just overall not very tasty and almost tastes rubbery.

What do you guys think it could be?

Thanks,
J

well.... which flavor are you asking about? You mentioned grassy, alcoholic, and rubbery all in that one short post.

Grassy = dry hopped too much/too long.

Alcoholic = if it feels "hot", then you posibly fermented at too high a temp and have fusel alcohol in it.

Rubbery = possibly autolysis (yeast canabalizing each other, caused by leaving the beer on the yeast too long)

well.... which flavor are you asking about? You mentioned grassy, alcoholic, and rubbery all in that one short post.

Grassy = dry hopped too much/too long.

Alcoholic = if it feels "hot", then you posibly fermented at too high a temp and have fusel alcohol in it.

Rubbery = possibly autolysis (yeast canabalizing each other, caused by leaving the beer on the yeast too long)

Well, I had a pint last night and I think it's a bit grassy, but not too bad. The problem is a rubbery taste. I racked onto a cake from an IPA, so maybe that could be autolysis and a mixture of 5 oz of hop goo from the IPA that the yeast originally fermented. Since I put that stupid hop ball in there, there is no way of getting it out of the keg unless I racked to another keg. I'm not sure what to do.

What would you do?

Thanks,
J

All the hops in the cake from the first beer would add to the grassy / vetegal flavor.

Rubber? Perhaps phenolics? What was your fermentation temp?

Dry hopped with 1 oz of 5.4 AA Cascades. Fermentation temp (external) ranged from low to mid 60's for the entire period.

Do you guys think that the doohickie I dry hopped with could have given these off flavors?

I don't know what the doohicki is or what it was made of, but I doubt any small piece of plastic would cause the whole batch to taste rubbery.

The only time I tasted rubber in something I fermented was when I made a small batch of cider and let it sit WAY too long on the yeast. It was horrible... like licking the tire of a car that just peeled rubber on the road.

It was horrible... like licking the tire of a car that just peeled rubber on the road.

ROFL.

Yeah, I made a batch of Apfelwein that sat on the primary cake for like 4 months and it tasted like shat when I first bottled it and it still tastes like shat a year later. Do you think that this will get better with age? Should I just let it age longer?

Do you use city water? Do they add choloramine to the water? If so, add some campden to your mash or boil water.

If your Apfelwein tasted like **** when done fermenting it is going to continue to taste like ****. Mine was good when I bottled and actually has not changed much over time...I let it sit on the cake for awhile too.

I agree with steelerguy. If the apfelwein tasted bad originally, and still tastes as bad a year later, it's a lost cause.

Yeah, you guys are right.

I do use city water, but I've brewed dozens of batches with it in the past and it's always been fine. Does that autolysis taste go away after time?

Severe overpitching of unhealthy yeast (eg, from lots of hops and/or alcohol) can lead to autolysis. I have overpitched at least one beer, not enough to get autolysis but enough to get lots of acetyldehyde and hot alcohols (fusels). I am pretty sure from your description pitching on the cake was your issue.

Severe overpitching of unhealthy yeast (eg, from lots of hops and/or alcohol) can lead to autolysis. I have overpitched at least one beer, not enough to get autolysis but enough to get lots of acetyldehyde and hot alcohols (fusels). I am pretty sure from your description pitching on the cake was your issue.

I think you guys are right. You see, I did a batch of BM's Cream ale with S-05 and racked a fresh wort of O Flannigans stout right on top of it without any off flavors, but I think that may because a stout has a lot more flavor to hide off flavors. Regardless of the style, I don't think that I will be pitching on a cake again. If I ever do pitch on a cake again, I'll probably dump 3/4's of the cake out of the carboy before I pitch on top of it.

Latest posts

Back