Help me decide on what to brew next!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSparty08

Reaction score
So my 1st batch hasn't even been bottled yet, but I'm anxious to start thinking about the next batch of beer. I'm thinking of doing a more traditional blonde ale or pale ale since my current one is a wheat beer. Only problem is my roommate doesn't really like pale ale and I don't really prefer the harsh bite and dryness that I've experienced in the pale ales that I've tried either. So before I make 5 gallons of something I won't enjoy drinking, what would be a good ale that won't be as harsh or dry (i.e. something you can drink a lot of). Also, would boiling the hops for a shorter time cut down on the harshness that we've experienced? Thanks in advance. :ban:

Northern Brown Ale is not very hoppy and usually has a bit of sweetness to it without being overbearing.

Ok. Quick question. My homebrew store says I can do a lager recipe even though I don't have the equipment to cold ferment. He says I just substitute dry yeast like "superior" and it'll turn out ok. Anyone done this? I know it probably doesn't come out like a lager, but does it still produce good results? Thinking this could be the answer to making a "session beer" for me and my roommate.

Lets look at it this way,
any combination of water, yeast, malt and hops is by rough definition beer...
so will a lager recipe fermented at the wrong temp with the wrong yeast produce beer?
YES it will...
will it produce GOOD beer?
probably not...

Instead, why not try a recipe that MANY people on here will tell you is a good recipe, and brew it the way that the recipe calls for. That gives you the best chance of producing GOOD beer... not just something that can be called beer, but GOOD beer.

your choice.

JMSparty08 said:
Only problem is my roommate doesn't really like pale ale and I don't really prefer the harsh bite and dryness that I've experienced in the pale ales that I've tried either. So before I make 5 gallons of something I won't enjoy drinking, what would be a good ale that won't be as harsh or dry (i.e. something you can drink a lot of).

have you tried bass ale or newcastle? I dont find that those bite much and since I am a newb and am brewing a bass ale clone i would highly recommend that!:rockin:

I think I'm going to do the centennial blonde that was posted earlier. If I can't do a secondary fermentation, can I just leave it in the primary for the remaining 4 days?

JMSparty08 said:
I think I'm going to do the centennial blonde that was posted earlier. If I can't do a secondary fermentation, can I just leave it in the primary for the remaining 4 days?

I would advise leaving it in the primary for about a week or two after the fermentation is finished... it will help it to clear more.

Back