Help me decide on hops please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

gometz

Reaction score
It looks like my LHBS will have some fresh hops in a few weeks (Defalco's in Houston). They say they will have Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Simcoe, and Mosaic.

When I first saw this of course my mind went crazy and now I MUST get some and I would like to make an Imperial IPA.

BUT: they are selling them in 8 oz packages and I know fresh hops don't last well (lose their purpose after some time), so I think it would be best if I stuck to 2 hop types.

So: what combination should I try out? I am hoping for some very nice almost tropical flavors, so I was thinking Mosaic for sure for the later additions (and some dry hopping), along with maybe Citra to get some citrus into it.

An option I am considering is using maybe Warrior hops as the bittering hops to get the backbone down and then using the fresh hops only sub-15 minutes.

OR

Hop burst the hell out of it using only fresh hops.

OR

First wort hopping with some of the fresh hops (or would this negate the benefit of fresh hops?)

My plan is to make a ~9 SRM IIPA with around 1.085 OG (FG around 1.020 or lower without using sugar), target IBU of about 110.

Thoughts? Input? Help?

(I have read one should use 4 times the weight of wet hops, is this correct?)

motorneuron

Reaction score
I still haven't used fresh hops myself, but it seems to me that it would be exceedingly difficult to use fresh hops to make an imperial/double IPA. The 5:1 weight difference means that you'd have real difficult fitting all those hops in the kettle, not to mention getting wort out of it at the end. I definitely defer to people who have done it, of course, but if it were me, I'd definitely make something more along the lines of a hoppy pale ale or normal IPA. And I would take your first approach--use something clean and in pellets for bittering, and then use the fresh hops all in the last 15 minutes (including whirpool/flameout/whatever).

As for your other parameters--1.020 FG is quite high for my tastes; I would definitely use some sugar to keep the FG in the mid-teens or even lower. But that's also assuming you'd have a 1.085 FG and 110 IBUs, which for the reasons above I think might not be the best choice.

Hop types: to me, Citra, despite itse name, is very tropical (like mangoes), and not very citrusy. Simcoe is quite citrusy. Mosaic I have never used.

OP
G

gometz

Reaction score
I am little bit of a purist when it comes to fermentables and really would like to avoid using sugar, so I am trying to think of a way to get the FG down a bit more (may just require doing some more research on yeasts). I would mash at about 148F for 90 minutes or so to try and get as many simple sugars out of the grain as possible.

Luckily I have a 16 gallon brew kettle (Amazon sent me the wrong size when I ordered a 10 gallon), so the overall volume won't be a problem, but the wort loss may be a little disappointing. I was thinking fresh hops may stay together more so than the whole leaf dried hops we normally can get (maybe someone could comment on that?), so that draining the wort would actually be easier.

Oh and a huge starter would be involved.