Help me decide how to fix a stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peregrinebio

Reaction score
I'm brewing a beefed up version of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone for the 2nd time. 1st time went great, went from 1.11 to 1.029 with only a vial of WLP001 being pitched (forgot to make a starter until too late).

Anyhow this time I pitched a 1L starter of WLP001 into a 1.115 wort on July 24th. On Aug 15th the grav was only at 1.042 and I'm aiming for a 1.028 FG. I tried rousing with no success. On Aug 22nd the grav was the same so I pitched another 1L of WLP001, well aerated, and at high Krausen. As of today, 8/30, she hasn't budged.

So HBT help me choose my next step:

1. Make an even bigger starter with some Saf-05 I have on hand.

2. Order some WLP099 High Grav yeast to finish her off.

3. Wait two weeks until I rack my fresh hop ale, and transfer the stout to its yeast cake.

4. ???

CHEERS!!!

yeast cake is probably the only way you'll have enough yeast to finish the job. I wouldn't waste you other yeast on more starters.

+ 1 on the yeast cake. Maybe make a small beer with 099 and rack the beer onto the cake afterwards. Are you sure something didn't change with your process this time? Could have more unfermentables than you think.

How well did you oxygenate the wort before you pitched the yeast?

I'm not sure why I would have more unfermentables. My numbers were almost identical (mash temp and time), except that I upped my grain amount to have a higher final vol. and my OG was a little diff because I was a little more efficient.

I oxygenate by dumping my wort from my pot into my fermenter. Usually works great. But this is the biggest beer I've ever attempted.

Back