Help me decide-all grain or a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up buying all-new stuff because I couldn't find stuff that I wanted used, and ultimately, I know I'll be happier with a kegerator that I like to look at than I will be with one that I saved a couple hundred dollars on. All together, I spent $600 plus the cost of kegs for all-new stuff, including Perlick Faucets. I don't consider picnic taps on a keg in the fridge to be a kegerator though. I think a kegerator is a draft-beer setup complete with real taps in a dedicated fridge.

I ended up buying all-new stuff because I couldn't find stuff that I wanted used, and ultimately, I know I'll be happier with a kegerator that I like to look at than I will be with one that I saved a couple hundred dollars on. All together, I spent $600 plus the cost of kegs for all-new stuff, including Perlick Faucets. I don't consider picnic taps on a keg in the fridge to be a kegerator though. I think a kegerator is a draft-beer setup complete with real taps in a dedicated fridge.
and that brings us to the question: was it worth building one over just buying one. Im in the same boat at you, no where to hid something ugly and it needs to be wife approved and match the kitchen. That means SS and professional looking in my case. For $600 (plus say $100 for shipping) I can have that.

and that brings us to the question: was it worth building one over just buying one. Im in the same boat at you, no where to hid something ugly and it needs to be wife approved and match the kitchen. That means SS and professional looking in my case. For $600 (plus say $100 for shipping) I can have that.

Mine came out to $600 including shipping.

From what I've seen, the kegerators premade cost around $650-$700 and are designed for the sankey style kegs, only have one faucet, and don't use perlicks. Kegconnection has "homebrew" style ones for around the same amount that come with everything, but then you have to factor in shipping, and there's still SOME assembly required. IMO, DIY is a slightly better way to go because it's less expensive(slightly), looks just as nice (he's selling you converted sanyo fridges), and you get to control the quality of the parts you're putting into it.

Latest posts

Back