Help me convert this extract recipe to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

here's an extract recipe that I want to change to all-grain.

6 lbs pale LME
1 lb amber DME
3/4 lb crystal 60L
1/4 chocolate
1/4 biscuit
1/4 carapils

I have no problem with the pale LME conversion, and I'll keep the specialty grains the same, but I haven't ever thought about converting amber DME to AG.

Is amber DME made from Brown Malt (sometimes called amber malt)?

Is amber DME made from Brown Malt (sometimes called amber malt)?

No, it's made from pale malt with specialty malt additions for color, probably some crystal and maybe a dash of chocolate. Therein lies the problem of trying to convert an extract recipe to all grain. You really don't know exactly what's in the extract. Extract recipes are essentially a compromise in trying to replicate an original beer or all grain recipe. Frankly I think you would be better served by targeting the particular style or commercial beer that may have been the original inspiration for your recipe. :mug:

thanks BigEd,

I just checked AHS, and their Amber DME is made with pale, munich, and 60L.

maybe I'll bump the 60L up to a full pound, and include ~1 lb of Munich in the mash.

what do you all think about this grain bill for a brown ale?

9 lb 2-row
1 lb munich
1 lb crystal 60L
1/4 chocolate
1/4 biscuit
1/4 carapils

It's going to be a little light in color, maybe more of a red ale than a brown ale.

Otherwise, looks good.

would adding 1/8 lb of black patent be too much?

I want to get it a little darker...

basically, I'm morphing my AG Elk Drool with this extract-based recipe from the old Coyote Spring's Nutz Brown ale (man, I wish that bar was still open :mad:) to make my soon to be uber favorite brown ale.

I plugged your grain bill into beersmith and it gives 17.5 SRM. Brown ale starts at 18 SRM. I'd probably just add a touch more chocolate malt, and be sure to mash high. Moose Drool is some thick stuff.

Back