Help me come up with my 35th Birthday IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired by this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/he...emorial-5-year-aged-barleywine-recipe-195096/

But I don't like barleywines, so using this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/tits-up-imperial-ipa-3-time-medalist-2-golds-1-silver-92914/

I came up with this:

AZ_IPA’s IIPA

16 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Munich
1 lb Vienna
1 lb 10L
0.5 lb Carapils
0.25 lb Honey
1 lb Dextrose

1.5 oz. Warrior (FWH)
1 oz. Magnum @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 5
2 oz Cascade @ 0

2 oz Cascade (dry)
2 oz Summit (dry)
1 oz Magnum (dry)

Mash @ 152 for 90 minutes

WLP001 of 1056 with big ass starter

According to Beer Calculus @ 65%

OG 1.095
FG 1.024
SRM 10
IBUs 139

Thoughts?? :mug:

First off, you just doing this to drink in a normal IIPA timeline?

I have come to like warrior for bittering so that is cool. I would think if this is a new a commemorative recipe, why not use something other than cascade and even a combo for your flavor/aroma hops?

Two Coors Lights it is. I suppose that will be easy to turn around by Sunday. :D

Step 1: Take two Coors Lights and put them in a freezer.

Step 2: On Birthday, pour what isn't frozen or exploded all over your freezer into a glass.

Step 3: Enjoy your Eis-Imperial Lite Lager.

First off, you just doing this to drink in a normal IIPA timeline?

I have come to like warrior for bittering so that is cool. I would think if this is a new a commemorative recipe, why not use something other than cascade and even a combo for your flavor/aroma hops?

'cuz I have a boat load of warrior, magnum, cascade, and summit...

What the hell kind of a milestone is 35?

one that you passed a long time ago :D

AZ, I thought you hated vienna. Why include it?

I don't recall hating Vienna. I just prefer Munich. I guess I'm ambivalent about Vienna....

Having never made an IIPA, what is the normal timeframe? 3-4 months? 1 year? 5?

With your name I figured it was all you drank all winter, although I guess in AZ you really don't have a winter.

IIPAs are basically like IPAs, you crank em out into serving as fast as you can. Usually due to high gravs this takes 1.5-2months at least. 3-4months would not be unheard of. 1 year would be a bitter, fiery mess. 5 would just be a bitter mess.

If you head back over to Revvy's post, we were having some interesting conversation about long aged IPAs, termed BWIPA(tm) by me. Our results will be posted in 2015.

Having never made an IIPA, what is the normal timeframe? 3-4 months? 1 year? 5?

as fast as possible, I am pulling the tap in less than 3 weeks

With your name I figured it was all you drank all winter, although I guess in AZ you really don't have a winter.

IIPAs are basically like IPAs, you crank em out into serving as fast as you can. Usually due to high gravs this takes 1.5-2months at least. 3-4months would not be unheard of. 1 year would be a bitter, fiery mess. 5 would just be a bitter mess.

If you head back over to Revvy's post, we were having some interesting conversation about long aged IPAs, termed BWIPA(tm) by me. Our results will be posted in 2015.

all good points except he lives in the cold part of Arizona

This past winter....

Tacoma.jpg

That is an interesting concept....

Rack to secondary after ~4 weeks; then bulk age for a couple months; then dry hop for 7 days, bottle and drink in ~3 weeks...

That is an interesting concept....

Rack to secondary after ~4 weeks; then bulk age for a couple months; then dry hop for 7 days, bottle and drink in ~3 weeks...

Basically, get all the bitter from boil hops, and get all the flavor and aroma from dry hopping.

To make it worth it, I would really up the gravity and bulk ages for year(s) not months though. Get that alcohol burn good and gone, THEN drop in the hops.

But I don't like barleywines,

I came up with this:

AZ_IPA’s IIPA

16 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Munich
1 lb Vienna
1 lb 10L
0.5 lb Carapils
0.25 lb Honey
1 lb Dextrose

1.5 oz. Warrior (FWH)
1 oz. Magnum @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 5
2 oz Cascade @ 0

2 oz Cascade (dry)
2 oz Summit (dry)
1 oz Magnum (dry)

Mash @ 152 for 90 minutes

WLP001 of 1056 with big ass starter

According to Beer Calculus @ 65%

OG 1.095
FG 1.024
SRM 10
IBUs 139

Thoughts?? :mug:

If you don't like barleywines, then why are you making one. I don't care how hoppy it us, if it's finishing in the 20s, it's a barleywine. I would follow the Russian river path and try to finish no higher than 1.012-.014. What that means is start lower and finish lower and you get a beer that has the abv and malt backbone, but the hops shine.

I would simplify the recipe. 2-row, Munich or Vienna(not both), carapils and less crystal. Also, backload the late hops. Just take everything from 15 mins on and have a huge KO addition.

Based on your recipe - 70% eff.

1.080ish
1.014ish

10.5# 2-row
2# either Munich or Vienna
.5# 10L
.5# carapils
1# dextrose
.25lb honey (though cheaper and to sane effect to just use all dextrose)

Follow your hop schedule until 30 mins. After that take all the late additions and hit all 4oz at KO.

Just my $.02

[snip] .25lb honey (though cheaper and to sane effect to just use all dextrose)

[snip]

Just my $.02

Thanks dirty - I meant honey malt; not honey itself; .25lbs of honey would be an odd thing to do...

I'm still tinkering; I've had many IIPA's that I like, just not many barleywines.

i would omit the honey malt then. Remember, you will get plenty of complexity from the hops, which are really the focus of a IIPA. If you add too many different malts, it will muddle the malt profile and in turn muddle all of the other flavors as well.

Just focus on base malt, a little specialty malt for character, and sugar for ABV boost and dryness. Dont try to do too much.

here, here. I do an IIPA with the same philosiphy as dirty martini has stated, and I'm swilling in 30 to 45 days. The sugar will really give it a heck of an ABV punch, and the late hop additions will make it taste like it deserves to be there.

Back