Help me clone Hemel & Arde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
I have no business trying to clone anything yet. But I am wanting to try with the help of HBT. Here is the description of the beer (A imperial stout):

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Made with the most heavily peated malt in the world from the Bruichladdich distillery. Almost pitch black and opaque, small head. Furiously peated aroma, hiding the malt, licorice and dark chocolate somewhat. Very full bodied, thick mouthfeel, like fluid bread. Dark chocolate, loads of peat, lapsang souchong tea, chocolate cake, culminating in an almost endless aftertaste that also has licorice.
Alcohol varies by batch.

The label lists ingredients as munich, cara, brown, peated barley, premiant and sladek (late hopping).

So for now, I have started entering malts and hops into beersmith but I am unsure what they mean by "Cara".

Other flavor descriptors from rate beer are coffee,toffee, liquorice and caramel.

So my questions for now are what is the "Cara" and just to confirm I am using Munich for the majority of the malt? Any suggestions now on malt percentages would be great too.

Also for the hops, I am considering substituting since NB is my usual supply and they don't have either. Or a google search brought up a place called Homebrew Heaven that has them both. Has anyone ever ordered from this place?

Here's some more stats:

24 Plato
129 Lovibond
108 IBU

I have no idea how to get that much color since the brown malt,munich, and peat all don't have much color. Perhaps the "heavily smoked peat" they use has more color than the peated malt I will be buying.

I guess most of the color has to come from whatever "cara" I use and maybe I will have to have a less dark beer. Perhaps something like the weyerman Carafa 3?

Back