Help me choose the finishing hop for my saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I'm brewing a saison tomorrow. Brewed one with the exact same grainbill last week (basically pils, with a touch of wheat and sugar), and I finished it with styrian goldings. I want to try a different finishing hop this week. What I have on hand:

a) Cascade
b) Centennial
c) Chinook
d) Summit
e) Tradition
f) East Kent Goldings
g) Willamette
h) Fuggles

The hop choice doesn't need to be traditional. I'm leaning towards centennial for their smooth, citrus quality, but Summit sounds interesting too. You can only pick one hop and the addition will be 2 ounces at flameout.

I'd try summit and see if you could get the savory/onion out if it to complement the peppery/spicy esters.

What yeast are you using?

EDIT: I have to admit that I didn't read the whole post. I quit reading once I got through the hop list. Pretty funny that you are meaning towards summit.

I'm using wy3711 and I think I'll go with Summit. I hope to get more tangerine than onions though...

I haven't tasted "onion" as much as savory. I guess it is more of a food teem but it seems to fit this hop pretty well. Do you need any summit? I have about 12 or 14 oz in a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer that I don't see myself using in the near future.

Opened the bag of Summit this morning and smelled them. They smell just like sour cream and onion chips... beurk. If I search for it, there might be a hint of tangerine. Might.

This must be like the cilantro thing where it tastes like soap and lemony butt to some, while it tastes glorious to others.

I'm firmly in the soap and lemony butt for cilantro and the onion summit group. I will go for all tradition. They have a spicy cinnamon thing going on that is really, really nice.

they smell funky in the bag, but turn out fine in the brew.

I'm willing to believe you, but I was not willing to sacrifice 5 gallons of beer on the altar of chopped onions to find out :) Especially when it's my second batch after two years of not brewing. I have no pipeline :(

I'll do a test batch in the future to see if I dig them or not.

Back