Help me choose please! USA beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjiefx

Reaction score
Hey guys, once again, I need your help.

My parents are going on vacation in Ogunquit (Maine) in 2 weeks. I asked them if they could bring back a couple of USA brews... Of course they said yes!!! :rockin:

So I found this Beer and wine store: Tully's beer and wine

They seem to have a good selection but... I don't know what to write on my list! :drunk: I never had american crafted or micro brews exept Rogue's IIPA and a couple of Sam Adams (is it micro?!?!? not sure). I see you guys often talk about dogfish head, rogue, Sierra Nevada... What should I put on my damn list?

They can take back the equivalent of 4 * 24 beers. But, I don't want to be ruined so I think I'm gonna order 2 * 24 or so.

I really like wheat beers, IPA and lots of other stuff...

Help me... Please!

Thanks!

I could probably spend an entire paycheck in the store you linked.

Some good ones I would recommend are Flying Dog In heat Wheat and Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA, Sam Adams Black Lager ( If you cant get it where you are) any of the harpoon Brews and any of the Rogue brews.

If they're going to be in Maine. Gritty Mcduffs is good and brewed in Maine. Smuttynose is brewed in New Hampshire so that should be available. I'm sure they'll be able to get any number of Vermont brewed beers Long Trail, Trout River, Rock Art, Harpoon is in Vermont and Mass and available just about every where. I'm sure they'll be a ton of other folks who will have plenty of others. But those should all be available in just about any part of Maine.

What I would choose from those offerings as a good cross-section of American craft beer:

Dogfish Head: 60 min IPA, 90 IPA, other stuff if your budget allows
Smutty Nose: IPA, Brown, Pale Ale
Anchor: Anchor Steam (a classic American beer)
Sierra Nevada: Pale Ale (another classic), any thing else

Jolly Pumpkin and Brewery Ommegang make very good Belgian style beer.

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe
DFH 60/90 & Pao Santo Marron
Allagash 4 & Interlude
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout & East India IPA (dunno if that's in bottles)
Southampton Saison, Double White, Abbot 12, Imperial Porter & RIS
Clipper City Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA

I've recently become a huge fan of Lagunitas (going on a brewery tour next week!) and I'd have to second the recommendations of Rogue, Dogfish Head, and Anchor Steam (also hitting that tour next week). Long Trail is a great New England beer if you want to try something from the locale where your folks will be. Stay away from Magic Hat, it is trendy and awful.

I've recently become a huge fan of Lagunitas (going on a brewery tour next week!) and I'd have to second the recommendations of Rogue, Dogfish Head, and Anchor Steam (also hitting that tour next week). Long Trail is a great New England beer if you want to try something from the locale where your folks will be. Stay away from Magic Hat, it is trendy and awful.

You are going to love the Lagunitas tour. I went last month, and it was the coolest tour I have been on. The brewery is small, but the tour was a lot of fun. The bar is sweet, and don't be afraid to ask to try any other beer you see on tap or in the fridge, they will pour whatever you want. Also have a designated driver, because they WILL get you drunk. You planning on hitting up any other breweries in the area?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I would recommend Smuttnose, Brewery Ommegang, Brooklyn Brewery and Otter Creek for some great Northeast USA beers.

And definitely get an Anchor Steam!

OK, Thanks all for your fast replies!

I'll surely put some DFH 60IPA and 90IPA on the list. Should I get a 6er of each or you think it is too much? Same thing goes with the Anchor steam and the SNPA.

What Rogue shold I go with??? I was thinking something between those: Dead guy, IIPA, Shakespear stout, chocolate stout, half-e-weizen... Or others?

I'll have to check all of your suggestions web site and make a choice... Or, I'll ask them to bring back 4 * 24! :drunk:

Well since it is Maine, one thing to pick up would be at least something from Allagash (have them check and see if you can get their Lambic yet, although I am not sure it's been released).

Well since it is Maine, one thing to pick up would be at least something from Allagash (have them check and see if you can get their Lambic yet, although I am not sure it's been released).

+1

The Allagash 4 is an excellent beer. Their Wit is rather good too.
I believe they have not yet bottled the spontaneously fermented beer yet.

I would definitely get something from Ommegang (Ommegeddon comes to mind. Don't bother with Chocolate Indulgence), a bottle from Jolly Pumpkin (roja would be my first bet, as I think it is their mostt balanced beer), the DFH 90 minute is better than the 60, so if you're limited on space, I'd consider that, I'd also pick up a couple bottles of the Palo Santo Marron because it is good, Allagash is almost a must. The White is a fantastic wit beer, and the others they make are really really nice. I'd suggest something like the curieux and the black.

I've never had anything from Brooklyn Brewery, but I think it is a must. Everyone raves and I don't doubt the people I know who say it is essential.

Are you rich? They have Caracole and Abbaye de Rocs there. they also have Cantillon listed, but they're sort of ridiculously priced. But worth it. They have Dupont too, and a bottle of the Saison Avec Les Bons Vouex, or even the regular one if you can't get it where you are.

I am kind of sad that there's absolutely no West Coast representation there. I could make a lot more suggestions. I've had most of what they have in that store and there's a lot of good beer there. I'd say get as wide a selection as possible.

+1 on the Allagash, Rogue, and Dogfishhead
If by chance you get a chance to buy from another store you should check out Lagunitas as well or hell what you really need to do is make it over to Oregon there are a lot of great brews over here.

You've made a great start. DFH60 is the only beer I've had that I like as much or more than my own (but I have not tried 90 yet - it's a bit pricy). That place looks like paradise!

+1 for Brewery Ommegang. Buy the style you think you'll like. They are all great.

+1 Smutty Nose, I love their Shoals Pale Ale. And other people seem to like the rest of their offerings, I just find it hard not to buy the one I like.

OK, Thanks all for your fast replies!

I'll surely put some DFH 60IPA and 90IPA on the list. Should I get a 6er of each or you think it is too much? Same thing goes with the Anchor steam and the SNPA.

What Rogue shold I go with??? I was thinking something between those: Dead guy, IIPA, Shakespear stout, chocolate stout, half-e-weizen... Or others?

I'll have to check all of your suggestions web site and make a choice... Or, I'll ask them to bring back 4 * 24! :drunk:

I personally think Half-e-Weizen isn't all that great. Dead Guy or either stout, maybe Hazelnut Brown.

What US beers can you find in Quebec? I would think Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada and possibly Brooklyn, Magic Hat and Ommegang are already there (at least for their more popular ones).

Southampton and Thomas Hooker aren't always easy to find in the US.

What US beers can you find in Quebec? I would think Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada and possibly Brooklyn, Magic Hat and Ommegang are already there (at least for their more popular ones).

We almost can't find any good US beers in Quebec. We surely have all the BMC crap but not much of craft or micro brews. All the beer imports are controled by the SAQ (société des alcool du québec) which is the governement. And, they don't give a sh!te about beer. the only US beer they have on their site is: Kirin Ichiban Special Premium which is brewed by AB. So, to have access to American beers, we have to go to Ontario or directly to the states. We can start a private importation thing but then we would have to pay rights to the SAQ and border fees and etc... $$$$$

The only Sam Adams I've had were when I went to Florida earlier this year. And the rogue IIPA I've tasted was at a beer fest here in Montreal.

Well, over all... the $AQ $uck$!!!

Anything from Anchor is good. Anchor Liberty is my favorite and heavily influenced the recipe for my house pale ale (drop down). Their Porter is fabulous, Old Foghorn is an awesome barleywine, and Anchor Steam is a great session beer. :mug:

- Eric

We almost can't find any good US beers in Quebec. We surely have all the BMC crap but not much of craft or micro brews.
If we could find a cheap way to ship it, I will trade you a bunch of those American craft beers (Rogue, Anchor, Flying Dog, Brooklyn Brewery, Laguinitas, etc.) that I can get here in Alberta for some awesome Quebec micros (such as Brasserie Dieu de Ciel, McAuslan, Brasserie Bièropholie, etc.) that are hard to get out west.

So...

Here it is...

THE LIST!!!

Rogue:
- IIPA (1 bottle 750ml)
- Marimoto Imperial Pilsner (1 bottle 750ml)
- Dead Guy Ale (1 bottle 22oz)

Allagash:
- White (1 bottle 750ml)
- Four (1 bottle 750ml)

Ommegang:
- Ommegeddon (1 bottle 750ml)
- Witte (1 bottle 750ml)

Flying Dog:
-mixed pack (12 bottles dif. kind)

Dogfish Head:
- 60 Minutes IPA (6 pack)
- 90 Minutes IPA (4 pack)

Smuttynose:
- Shoals Pale Ale (2 bottles 12oz.)
- IPA (2 bottles 12oz.)
- Old Brown Dog (2 bottles 12oz.)

Anchor:
- Steam (3 bottles 12oz.)
- Liberty (3 bottles 12oz.)

Sierra Nevada:
- Pale Ale (6 pack)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about that list?

-Is it good?
-Do you think I missed anything?
-Is there anything on there not worth buying?
-Will it cost me an arm and a leg? I don't know the beer prices in the USA so... if you could guess how much it would cost me for that. It would be really helpful.
-Do you think my folks will get arrested at the borders with all that? :D

Once again, thanks a bunch to all!!

J-F

I think that if you have never sampled any of the listed beers, you're going to be quite happy....and what else really counts?

I'm guessing $120 before tax and deposit. And then there's the tax at the border...

I've had most of those and it's good stuff. I wouldn't refuse any of them. You can't possibly buy everything, but I would put in a vote for a bottle of Ommegang Hennepin.

Any losers there? Well, Flying Dog has some that are merely okay to me. I'd personally go with a 12-pack of Smutty and a few singles of FD, but others will disagree.

If we could find a cheap way to ship it, I will trade you a bunch of those American craft beers (Rogue, Anchor, Flying Dog, Brooklyn Brewery, Laguinitas, etc.) that I can get here in Alberta for some awesome Quebec micros (such as Brasserie Dieu de Ciel, McAuslan, Brasserie Bièropholie, etc.) that are hard to get out west.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Longueuil,+QC,+Canada&geocode=&dirflg=&daddr=Calgary,+Alberta&f=d&sll=45.920587,-73.493042&sspn=1.608735,3.493652&ie=UTF8&z=4"]Road Trip[/ame]

Minneapolis, MN is almost exactly half-way between you guys.

I'm guessing $120 before tax and deposit. And then there's the tax at the border...

I've had most of those and it's good stuff. I wouldn't refuse any of them. You can't possibly buy everything, but I would put in a vote for a bottle of Ommegang Hennepin.

Any losers there? Well, Flying Dog has some that are merely okay to me. I'd personally go with a 12-pack of Smutty and a few singles of FD, but others will disagree.

I'd agree with the Hennepin vote. I'd rather have that than the Witte, even. You're getting Allagash White and you're not going to get much better than that. :)

I also pretty much agree on the flying dog. They're kind of meh to me. Except for the gonzo Imperial Stout.

Where's the dark beers? Left Hand Milk Stout is one of my favorites (along with many on the list, esp. DFH) and I would recommend adding this to the list if your into that kind of thing. Also, I would get at least one of every Dogfish Head they have and a four pack of the 90 Minute.

Same here on Flying Dog. I've never had much from them that I would buy again. It's not bad, but something else is always better.

If they're going to be in Maine. Gritty Mcduffs is good and brewed in Maine. Smuttynose is brewed in New Hampshire so that should be available. I'm sure they'll be able to get any number of Vermont brewed beers Long Trail, Trout River, Rock Art, Harpoon is in Vermont and Mass and available just about every where. I'm sure they'll be a ton of other folks who will have plenty of others. But those should all be available in just about any part of Maine.

+1 And you might want to add. Tuckerman's, Woodstock Brewery's Pigs Ear Brown. Ommegang (anything from there).

If they go 95--> 16/Conway, NH they could hit Glen Beverage Co. which has a great selection. Then all they would have to do is take 16--> 91 and north to home (91 takes you to 55).

I'll stop now, thinking about it makes me really miss east coast beer.

Here's what I got!

SNV30224.JPG

Allagash White
Allagash Four
Ommegang Hennepin
Ommegang Witte
Rogue Shakespeare stout

SNV30225.JPG

FLYING DOG
hefe weizen
amber lager
porter
classic pale ale
golden ale
IPA

SNV30226.JPG

DOGFISH HEAD
punkin ale
palo santo marron
90 minutes IPA

SNV30227.JPG

Rogue Dead guy ale
Smuttynose Old brown dog ale
Smuttynose IPA
Anchor Steam
Sierra Nevada pale ale

All that for about 130$.
I'm a little disapointed they couldn't find rogue's IIPA, Ipilsner and dogfish head 60 Minutes IPA but I'm happy with all the rest. I'll have to go down the border to get those myself one day!

Yesterday, I had a one of my SNPA which was really good. It has more aroma and taste than most of the IPA i can find here. I think I'll have to try to brew a clone of that soon!

i'll keep you posted when I taste the other beers!

Thanks again!

I didn't see it listed in the store, but if you're into wheat beers, you might like Bell's Oberon. They're more mid-west (Michigan, Indiana, Ohio) but now and then you can get it outside of their distribution are (I get mine in Virginia).

[Edit: Seems Virginia is now part of their distribution area... Maryland is not]

Following up on the Bell's Oberon, I'd go with Bell's Two Hearted Ale as well.

Great Lakes Brewing Co out of Ohio has some very good beers as well.

Had a Rouge Shakespeare Stout last night. Good roast taste with a nice dry finish. Surprised, but not put off, by the hop bitterness.

Back