Help Me Choose A Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAleMaster

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm deciding on a plate chiller and have a couple of different options. I wanted to get some opinions on which you feel is the best combination of plates/fittings. I generally brew 5 gallon batches, with an occasional 10 gallon.

The cost of the two are nearly identical. The 40 plate small has slightly more total heat transfer area than the 20 plate medium (5.6 sq ft v. 4.94 sq ft). However, the 40 plate small comes only with 1/2" fittings whereas the 20 plate medium comes with 3/4" fittings. Would the smaller fittings restrict the flow of the cold water enough to negate the additional heat transfer area in the 40 plate? Or will I be fine to cool either 5 or 10 gallons in one pass* with the 40?

*Assume an average cold water temperature of 55 degrees.

Thanks!

go with the 40 if they are the same price. your still going to put about the same volume of cold water thru the smaller connection(flow=velocity x area) its just going to increase the velocity of the flow. i have had better luck with a counter flow. 200 deg in 65 deg out.

With equivalent surface area and 55F tap water, you'll do well with either. The only other consideration is size.

I have a Therminator, and love it, it chills 10 gal in 5 min to 68oF using 58oF cooling water at 5 gpm. It is a liitle more expensive though.

I have a Therminator, and love it, it chills 10 gal in 5 min to 68oF using 58oF cooling water at 5 gpm. It is a liitle more expensive though.

The therminator is nice, not doubt, but pricey.

The plate chillers mentioned above have equivalent surface area to a therminator....For half the cost. ;)

Back