Help........Lots of freezer rigging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I just picked up a new chest freezer at sears ($180 off)

IMG_3321.JPG

and I have 3 body regulator like this
3body.jpg

I have 2 two tap towers I am mounting to the lid & I want to keep the CO2 tank outside.
How would you suggest rigging it up?

I would like to be able to maintain 2 if not 3 different pressures for different beer, wine, force carbing etc.

If I remember right if & I want to mount the guages inside and leave the tank outside I would need to buy some expensive hose deal?
Or should I just run the 2 or 3 hoses inside to pair of 4 way and one 3 way manifolds?
I want to be able to keep all 10- 11 cornys under pressure for carbing and future tap expansion possibilities:)

Hook me up the right way so I am not redoing stuff later down the road.

Nothing here - my CO2 will be outside the fridge, and I assume the regulators would be inside, so I'm just listening for more detail. :)

SuperiorBrew said:
I just picked up a new chest freezer at sears ($180 off)

11999-IMG_3321.JPG

11999-3body.jpg

I have 2 two tap towers I am mounting to the lid & I want to keep the CO2 tank outside.

I would like to be able to maintain 2 if not 3 different pressures for different beer, wine, force carbing etc.

If I remember right if & I want to mount the guages inside and leave the tank outside I would need to buy some expensive hose deal?
Or should I just run the 2 or 3 hoses inside to pair of 4 way and one 3 way manifolds?
I want to be able to keep all 10- 11 cornys under pressure for carbing and future tap expansion possibilities:)

Austins has 4 inch long bulkheads that are 1/4 inch so you can put your co2 outside of the freezer

You have a few choices obviously. First, you can take apart after the first body and use the left two as a remote secondary (inside) the freezer. That will give you two pressures inside. From there you'd run each to like a 4-5 output manifold. You'd put a single body with two gauges on the tank and run a 30psi intermediate pressure to the remote bank only penatrating the freezer with a single hose.

You could also run three lines into there directly off your reg. It's not that big of a deal. If you want to save some money on the project, you can use a few cheap "tees" or "crosses" inside instead of manifolds. Having a shutoff valve for each line is a little overrated in my opinion. I just pull the connector off if I really need to do that.

With a manifold, all your gas lines eminate from that point like an octopus. If you use tees, you can run a single line down the freezer and tap off a short stub to each keg. Two ways to go about it.

SuperiorBrew said:
…
11999-3body.jpg

First, even though you’re installing a tower and not a collar, it would be very convenient to go ahead and add a 2x4 collar so you could drill through the wood to run your hoses and mount your regulator.

If it were me, here’s what I’d do:

1) Install a 2x4 collar (it’s probably 2-3 hours max).
2) Keep the CO2 tank outside and run one hose to the regulator(s) inside
3) Install the regulator inside the tank, mounted to the collar.
4) Run two hoses (using a t-split) from each of two of the regulators to the four different beers being served in the tower (this gets you your different serving pressures).
5) Run your third regulator to either some cheap t-splitters or several manifolds with shutoffs. This could be an unlimited numbers of extensions to keep multiple beers carbing, or under maintenance pressure.

Essentially your committing two regulators to serving four kegs, and using the third to charge the other kegs. I like the shutoff manifolds instead of splitters because if there is a keg I want to hurry up and carb at 30PSI for 36 hours, I don’t have to disconnect the gas lines from the other kegs…I just close their manifold valves.

Here’s pick of how I attach my manifold to the inside of the collar. You would simply be installing a regulator in addition to the manifold.

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

Inventory3.JPG

I got the towers mounted, just waiting for the manifolds to arrive. I left room for another one in the middle some day, I have 4 party taps inside for the other beers that are done.

Kegerator_002.jpg
[/IMG]
Kegerator_004.jpg

Kegerator_006.jpg

Some members have used high-pressure paintball hose between the tank and the regulators. It's fairly cheap.

Given your intent to use towers and the amount of space in that unit, I would just put the tank inside. It would be so much easier.

I have a 20 lb tank and I would take up the space of 2 cornys with the regulators attached.
I ended up going with a 1/4" MFL Bulkhead & a couple 4 way distributers.

mflbulkhead.jpg

distributor-4.jpg

bug.gif

Back