Help! LHBS gave me Black Patent for Yopper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
EDIT - Long story short -- got Black Patent instead of Black Barley. So...will using 8 ounces of Black Patent instead of Black Barley make that noticeable a difference? If so, what will it do to the flavor? It's going to be a 5 gallon batch.

And either way, would you go back and ask them to re-do the whole thing? All the milled grains are in one bag...so there's no way to just remove just one thing.

Last edited:
Black Patent is a little milder than black barley in my opinion; I like it better. It tastes less burnt. I would brew what you have. Whether it's noticeable or not (other than the foam will be whiter) kinda depends what else is mixed with it. The beer should be about the same color.

I've see Oatmeal Stout recipes where the brewer used more black patent malt. I've see other Oatmeal Stout recipes where the brewer used black barley. Really depends on your preferences. Personally, no I would not use the whole 8 oz in a 5 gallon batch. Just my own tastes, but everyone likes different things.

Here's the 2002 US Open Stout winner from my ProMash database. Note the 1/4 lb black patent malt.
2002-US-Open-Stout-Winner.jpg

In the future get your lhbs to separate grains in different bags. I love black patent but add it later to mash, like when I do my 30 minute stir. Less astringency, if you're concerned about such things.

Valid point! I recently read more than 1 article recommending adding the darkest malts late in the mash to avoid/prevent astringency.

So I decided I really want to brew it per the recipe...after all, it gets rave reviews as is. Went back to LHBS and they immediately offered to re-do the whole grain bill, no charge*.

Turns out that the whole thing boiled down to a difference of terminology. Kind of funny; in an earlier post today I mentioned how much I like Homebrew HQ in Richardson TX. The way they handled this further proves the point.

* There was one condition: That I keep both bags of grains, brew a batch with each, and bring them a few bottles of each. No worries there! :mug:

So I decided I really want to brew it per the recipe...after all, it gets rave reviews as is. Went back to LHBS and they immediately offered to re-do the whole grain bill, no charge*.

Turns out that the whole thing boiled down to a difference of terminology. Kind of funny; in an earlier post today I mentioned how much I like Homebrew HQ in Richardson TX. The way they handled this further proves the point.

* There was one condition: That I keep both bags of grains, brew a batch with each, and bring them a few bottles of each. No worries there! :mug:
Best possible outcome! Keep everything the same and then you can check yourself what you would prefer! I'll bet the difference is neglectable.

In the future get your lhbs to separate grains in different bags. I love black patent but add it later to mash, like when I do my 30 minute stir. Less astringency, if you're concerned about such things.

Just brewed a Dry Irish Stout yesterday. I like adding a quarter of my dark grains into the mash. I then add the remainder just before sparring. I feel compelled to add a little up front to ensure some roast flavor, although it would probably work the same to add all of it at the end.

Back