Help - Is there anything wrong !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardf

Reaction score
OK. I'm probably just worrying too much, but:

I'm making a Munton's Old Conkerwood (Dark Ale)

1. Fermentation in bin took about 2 weeks (as expected)
2. Transferred to Top Tap Keg (all steralized etc.) last week (22nd) for secondary fermentation and added 85g of Light Spraymalt - as suggested in the instructions
3. Checked Keg yesterday and there was no pressure in the keg at all, i.e. opened up the tap and nothing came out. So I opened the lid of the keg and tasted a bit (not too bad). It is kept in my living room.

Could anyone please tell me if that is expected and should I pressurize the keg with a CO2 canister (which was supplied with my beginners kit)? Also if I have now taken the top off the keg do I need to start secondary fermentation again (i.e. re-prime it)?

Thanks

Richard

The secondary is for settling and clarifying the beer. But in this case, it sounds like you poured it into some type of serving vessel and the secondary fermentation you're referring to is the "bottle conditioning"... which is a bit of a misnomer in this case since you aren't putting it into bottles.. that's also referred to by some as secondary fermentation, but it kind of can cause the terms to be confused... but anyway...

Normally sugar or malt (or honey, or molasses or whatever) is used to carbonate the beverage during bottle conditioning. This process typically takes 1 to 2 weeks depending on your desired level of carbonation.

The CO2 can be used to speed up the process, but since you've already added the malt, the yeast has gone to work and I fear that the use of CO2 will cause excessive carbonation. You've got a week to wait. Grab a six pack and relax.

Of course, I don't know your recipe. I am assuming that the malt you are adding is the last addition of any ingredients, there's no additional malt or priming sugar to be added later, is that correct?

That is correct.

Do I need to do anything even if I have taken the lid off the keg?

Thanks

Richard

It's possible the Top Tap wasn't sealing well. Now that you've opened it, you'll need to re-prime or use the CO2. Or just invite the CAMRA folks over.

Do I reprime it by using the same amount of DME (3oz) and leave for 2 weeks (without opening this time!)?

Thanks

Richard

David- question for you (or whoever).

When richard poured in the malt and sealed his unit, there was a nice layer of air on top of the beer. This causes the yeast left over from primary to go into a reproductive cycle, right? And once they use up the air, then they start going through the process of converting sugars to CO2 and alcohol.

Since he only had it "bottled" for one day, It sounds to me like there should still be sugar left to be consumed by the yeast and putting them back into a reproductive cycle and after that, they will start fermenting again and putting out CO2 for the carbonation. So won't the addition of more sugar/malt result in over priming? :confused:

Back