HELP! IPA in need of guidance.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
Brewed 5 all grain recipes and now I wanna brew my own! SO here it is, just try not to laugh to much! (just playing laughter is welcome).

Shooting for an IPA, please give me your insist comments and good humor! :) Thanks in advance

10 Gal

16 lbs Munich Malt
2 lbs American pilsner

1 oz Apollo 60min
.5 oz Apollo 20min
.5 oz magnum 10min
.5 oz cascade 5min

.5 oz apollo day 3
.5 oz magnum day 4
.5 oz Cascade day 5

Plus I could use a suggestion for yeast!

I'm a little confused about the Munich base with pilsner malt. I prefer crystal, biscuit, etc. to compliment my base. Maybe you aren't looking for much from the pilsner?

I like the hop schedule. But would add the dry hops at the same time. I've just never read that adding them on different days matters.

If you are using Munich as a base, you might want a English yeast. But I would suggest California/us05, a American ale yeast, or a east or west coast strain.

Thanks you so much for the speedy reply! This is exactly the kind of help I need!

So the Munich base is because I am chasing after one of my favorite craft brews which is hops rising from wasatch brewing company, and I know that one of the three grains they use is Munich and so I was using it as a base to get a feel for what it would be like and hopefully be able to figure out the other two based on what I thought it was missing, the pilsner was honestly just for kicks, what would you suggest? anything you know that would go well with Munich or what grains would you suggest?

The reason for the 3 different days of hops additions is because I have read a lot that dry hoping is mostly experimental so it was for science that I chose that, much like this whole recipe is a learning experiment for me. But now that I think about it I feel it would be better to add them all at once to try and reduce chance of infections.

Thanks so much for your reply! hope to hear from you soon!

That is definitely the yeast i was looking for wlp 005, thank you! now to decide what to use instead of the pilsner? or is 2lbs of anything gonna make a difference?

Using munich as a base is going to be quite malty, most IPA's would be using munich as an accent malt. If you know you like it that's fine but it would be atypical for an IPA and I'm just wondering what beer it is you're trying to pattern it after. It will be the dominant malt, probably doesn't matter too much whether you use pilsner, 2-row, pale ale to make up the rest.

Also are you sure this is for 10 gal? 18 lb of grain seems little low, and that's less hops than I would use in a 5 gal batch of IPA. I personally wouldn't use magnum for later additions.

I'd cut that Munich down to 9-10lbs. And then use 6-8 of a 2-row Pilsen. And maybe some white wheat or a little flaked oat to keep the color light. And u could definitely step up those hops and maybe even the grain bill if it's a 10 gallon batch. But since your experimenting with it. Why not start with a 5gallon batch in case it's not what you really want it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Im so glad I asked on here for help!

So the beer I am chasing after is hops rising, as mentioned in my first post. Hops Rising is a 9% Double IPA and the taste is so smooth with a perfect balance of hops (in my humble opinion), Sorry I wish I knew how to explain it better,

But if you look up hops rising in beer advocate maybe that will help clear the mystery, its my favorite beer and I would so love to come close to it, so maybe by reading the reviews on beer advocate somebody could help me in the right direction with my grain bill!

Any suggestions would be very appreciated, sorry if I am not giving the right information, I am so knew to this process and so in love with it!

I imagine your going to need a bit more grain to achieve a 9%. Or use some raw unpasteurized honey in the fermenter to jack that gravity up.

The 9% is not exactly what I specifically care for, more so the flavor, but if one were to go for 9% what grain bill would you prescribe?

Thanks again

I did a 9% ipa last summer 5 gallon batch with 3lbs of honey in ther fermenter to achieve the ABV the grain bill was as follows

14 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lb - White Wheat Malt
1 lb - Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lb - Oats, Flaked

But you can achieve the same gravity with a larger grain bill. Just use beersmith or whatever brew software you choose and adjust the numbers till you get close to what your looking for.

Well they don't give much away on their site. From reviews it does sound pretty malty/caramel-y and on the sweet side for a DIPA, and a hop bomb with lots of pine, resin, citrusy flavors. I couldn't find much on a quick search, there's this thread from a few yrs back but no recipe info, unless you want to try to email the brewers.

Sounds like you may have some inside info though with the munich, do you know if those are the 3 hops they use or did you just pick those? If it's just a shot in the dark I'd probably try some simcoe or chinook for the pine, maybe pair one of those with the apollo and cascade. And use lots - i.e. for 5 gallons something like an oz of hops at 15, 10, 5, couple oz at flameout, and 2-3 oz dryhop. Who knows with the malt bill, but going with the minimal info I'd maybe try 20% munich, 5-6% crystal 40, and the rest some type of pale malt base (not really to my style for this kind of beer but trying to aim for what is described). I don't know about using an English yeast, unless you think that's what they use. I'd personally go with a chico strain or other American yeast.

I've done an all Munich IPA -tasted great. I say go for it. If I were to do something like this I'd double the hops for each addition from 20 mins to flame out. Instead of magnum & cascade I'd choose simcoe or Citra or summit or Columbus or centenial. Add a lb of cane sugar and you'll be up close to 9% probably on a 5 gallon batch.

Steve da sleeve

Chickypad, The insider info is 1 of the 3 grains is Munich and 1 of the 3 hops is Apollo, so does this info change what you would suggest? your grain bill sounds pretty good!

Chickypad, The insider info is 1 of the 3 grains is Munich and 1 of the 3 hops is Apollo, so does this info change what you would suggest? your grain bill sounds pretty good!

Doesn't change my ideas, but realize I've never had the beer and am totally guessing based on descriptions. For kicks I plugged that grainbill in targeting about a 1.086 OG and the color comes out at 10.5-11.5 SRM, which sounds about right as pics of that beer seem to be kind of orange -ish.

As wbarber mentioned sugar ferments out, you would use it or other sugars like honey to bring up the alcohol but lighten the body and dry the beer out making is seem less sweet. This beer actually sounds like it is fairly sweet, so I would not overdo it with the sugar if you're going to use it.

Thank you all so much for the help!

Brew was today and the final decision was:

10 Gal Batch

14 lbs American Pale 2 Row
4 lbs Briess Munich
2 lbs Crystal 40

60 min 2 oz Apollo
15 min 1 oz chinook
10 min 1 oz chinook + 1 oz Cascade
5 min 1 oz Cascade

No cali yeast in stock so went with Wyeast American ale

Again thanks everyone for the help, I will post how this turns out!! CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!:tank:

Back