Help...I think my wine is dead..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, another daft question.
I started my 1st 30 bottle red wine kit last week. Our weather here has been bad for summer and ambient has been around 15 to 18 deg.
The fermentation went ok for the 1st couple of days then my central heating went on the blink and the fermentation looks to have stopped. I've since put the fermentation vessel into a larger bucket filled with water and am heating the wine with that to 24 deg.
The fermentation does not seem to have restarted (the fermentation vessel lid does not seal so no bubbles going through the airlock). Is there anything I eed to/can do to get it started again or is my wine dead?

Did you try using a sanitized spoon to stir it? If not i would try doing that the yeast may have fell asleep and dropped to the bottom.

Marcostheblack said:
Hi folks, another daft question.
I started my 1st 30 bottle red wine kit last week. Our weather here has been bad for summer and ambient has been around 15 to 18 deg.
The fermentation went ok for the 1st couple of days then my central heating went on the blink and the fermentation looks to have stopped. I've since put the fermentation vessel into a larger bucket filled with water and am heating the wine with that to 24 deg.
The fermentation does not seem to have restarted (the fermentation vessel lid does not seal so no bubbles going through the airlock). Is there anything I eed to/can do to get it started again or is my wine dead?

Are you sure fermentation stopped? It may have just slowed down. You can verify by taking hydrometer readings over a couple of days and compare.

If you need to, add yeast nutrient and new yeast to get it going again. You can also stir the must and get the yeast cells moved about.

Back