HELP I think I screwed my batch up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Younggunner94

Reaction score
hi everyone,

First time poster and brewer. I unfortunately fudged the bucket and forgot to get my yeast when I was grabbing all of my ingredients. I forgot to grab it out of the fridge, I now started brewing my batch, and am currently on the boiling stage. What should I do with no yeast?! Can the mixture keep overnight until I can grab some yeast? Or is there some substitute that I can use? Please help this is urgent!

Depending on what you are a making, you could just use dry yeast. Or, lots of people have had success with using the no-chill method. Just let the wort naturally cool down, then pitch yeast later.

As long as you can keep it from going rouge, sure.

Many people do just what you describe on purpose, boil the wort and then pitch the next day.

Leaving the wort alone overnight should be fine. Just make sure to be meticulous about sterilizing your fermenting bucket, and anything else that comes in contact with your cooled/cooling wort.

Be sure to aerate the wort once you are ready to pitch your yeast.

And, as stated, dry yeast will probably be best in this situation, since a starter is not really an option at this point. Dry packets have a higher cell count than liquid yeast packs, so they will have an easier time fully fermenting your brew.

Well this was 8 hours ago huh? Let us know if it infected. Also when you go back to your LHBS today, maybe try to get their freshest yeast to cut down on lag time.

Unless you want to buy 2 vials or smack packs, and they need to be very fresh, go with dry yeast this time as making a starter with a single vial of liquid yeast takes another 24 hours. Re-hydrate the yeast according to the manufacturer's instructions, pitch, and aerate with a large sanitized whisk.

I've let very trubby wort sit in a lidded bucket overnight, then siphoned off into another bucket and pitched yeast. Just keep good sanitation practices.

When you buy your yeast, pickup a handful of good dry yeast packets. I like US-05 for about anything. Next time you forget, spill or otherwise screw up you have yeast waiting in your fridge.

I always pitch next day. With ground water temps i can run 25 gallons through my immersion chiller for clean up and get my wort down to 115 or so. I then put it in my fermentation chamber set at fermentation temp and pitch the next morning. No issues with this in over 400 gallons of product. I do prefer to us dry yeast for the cost and only use liquid for select styles wyeast 2575 being one of my favorites and i always save cakes in 1 gallon jugs in the extra space between kegs in the kezzer. Pull one out the day i brew to warm up to pitch next day.

When you buy your yeast, pickup a handful of good dry yeast packets. I like US-05 for about anything. Next time you forget, spill or otherwise screw up you have yeast waiting in your fridge.

I always have a spare pack of US05 in the fridge. Just in case.

Would anyone recommend reboiling the wort when he is ready to pitch the yeast? Might throw off the recipe some (esp if there were late hop additions) but would ensure no infection.

Would anyone recommend reboiling the wort when he is ready to pitch the yeast? Might throw off the recipe some (esp if there were late hop additions) but would ensure no infection.

In my experience, which is about 60 gallons of beer so far so still slightly noobish, there's no reason to worry as long as you're sanitation practices are on point. I usually cool over night before pitching, since I don't have a reliable method of cooling quickly at the moment. I've yet to have any issues, and I know a lot of more experienced brewers than me do the same thing with no issues. Sanitation is key, as with everything else in brewing.

I had a 3 year old pack of US05 in my refrigerator, I forgot it was in there.
I was getting ready to make a batch of cider, I had a new pack on the way in a couple of days but figured what the heck, make a starter and see what happens. That old pack of yeast started working on that starter within an hour, made a tasty batch of cider with it.

Back