HELP - I think I ruined my latest batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akupinya

Reaction score
This is my second batch. I am doing a IPA extract kit. I didn't see any noticeable signs of fermentation after 24 hours, but when I woke up this morning I had krausen in my air lock and all over the top of the bucket. Here is where things went south......I took off the air lock cleaned and sanitized it.....went to put it back on and while doing so I pushed the grommet on the top of my lid into the bucket!!!.....I thought the grommet would just be laying on top of the krausen...no such luck.....I didn't know what to do....soooo I racked the beer into my bottling bucket, retrieved the grommet, and racked back into my primary. At first there were signs of continued fermentation, but now there is no action in the airlock.

What a nightmare. Is my beer ruined? Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm a noob, but I bet it will be fine.

Is there no action in the airlock because the grommet fell in and there is no longer a tight seal between the airlock and the lid?

No, I did retrieve the grommet and put it back on the lid......so I guess I just have to wait, take a gravity reading in a week or so and see what I get....

Should be fine. Just give it time. And buy some extra grommets for next time ;)

I wouldn't sweat it. It's doubtful you had something in the bucket that would stop cold an active fermentation. Check gravity for 2 days before you pronounce your yeast DOA.

should be fine. If the grommet falls in again I would save yourself the trouble and just use a sanitized piece of aluminum foil in place of a airlock.

Back