HELP! i think i just wasted a batch of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkydrummer88

Reaction score
yo.
I got a hydrometer to see if my beer was done(i didn't have one at the beginning of the brew). I did this because the beer bubbled and had foam krausen, but then after about 36-48 hours things ceased. After that, I didn't see a bubble pop through if I stared at the airlock for 2 minutes. I was worried so i got a hyrdrometer. It's been 2 weeks, since I began fermentation, I tested the 60 degree fermenter in 70 degree water, and found that it was a bit under the 0 mark on my hydrometer. So I assume that is accurate. When I opened my batch, I found it to have krausen foam on the sides of the 5 gallon jug, which was expected, but there were tiny brown flakes floating on top of the beer, something I don't recall seeing in my first batch. I then inserted the hyrdrometer, and it is below the 0 mark by a long shot, actually the hyrdrometer was floating at the place where it goes skinny and where it starts to get wider at the bottom. What does this mean?

Did you give it a spin to knock off any bubbles? Other than that, no idea what's up with your hydrometer. Fermenting out in under 48hrs is not that uncommon though. My last batch fermented out in under 36hrs. Racked it to secondary after a week, waiting on it to clear at the moment.

All signs point to the fact that you have made beer...and likely decent beer. Your hydrometer probably just got caught on a piece of floating yeast or trub. Did you taste it?

Thing is I spun the hyrdrometer, and even picked it up and moved it. I also have no idea what the floating stuff was, maybe just krausen foam curdled up. My hydrometer is accurate, so why doesn't it show my "objective ending fermentation number" of 1.012?

You'd probably have an easier time reading it if you take a sample of beer (with sanitized methods) and put the sample in a hydrometer jar made for such readings. They're $2-8, and are worth every cent. Here's an example: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4708

That way, you can see the hydrometer reading at eye level, rather than floating it in the entire bucket. Also, when you've got your gravity reading, you can drink the sample for a taste test!

sonetlumiere85 said:
You'd probably have an easier time reading it if you take a sample of beer (with sanitized methods) and put the sample in a hydrometer jar made for such readings. They're $2-8, and are worth every cent. Here's an example: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4708

That way, you can see the hydrometer reading at eye level, rather than floating it in the entire bucket. Also, when you've got your gravity reading, you can drink the sample for a taste test!

Better recommendation i think is to get a thief:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4356

I love mine and couldn't think of any better way to sample, take readings, and taste test my beer!

Krauzen is just plain ugly/nasty looking...and completely normal...Sometimes it looks curdled, sometimes it has flakes of your Irish moss or little pieces of hops in it...And sometimes it stinks....

It just means you made beer!!!

In other words, Congrats and RDWHAHB! :D

Sounds like your beer is probably just fine. Leave it in the fermenter for a while so the yeast can clean up the nasties a little bit, then secondary or bottle it. Relax, everything will be wonderful.

That still doesn't help me with my hydrometer reading. It was floating literally as low as it could be floating. There wasn't an inaccuracy due to not being at eye level, it was just as low as it could go.

funkydrummer88 said:
That still doesn't help me with my hydrometer reading. It was floating literally as low as it could be floating. There wasn't an inaccuracy due to not being at eye level, it was just as low as it could go.
EDIT: If you pull a sample from under the krausen (use a turkey baster, siphon tube, or wine thief) and put it into a tall glass, I bet you get a more accurate reading.

Was something preventing the hydrometer from sinking any lower? Try and take another sample but this time used the plastic tube the hydrometer came in. A sanitized turkey baster is a good way to grab a sample for testing.

Don't use that thin plastic tube for hot wort though, don't ask how I know.

(The reason we are asking you to take another reading is that something doesn't add up)

Since it sounds like you're new to using a hydrometer, I'd suggest looking at one or more of the following. The first one shows the hydrometers floating in hydrometer jars, which is a much better idea than putting it directly in your wort. A wine thief is a good investment to pull your sample. Both are available online or at your LHBS.

http://leebrewery.com/hydromet.htm

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

And as mentioned earlier, sanitize everything that comes in contact with your wort or finished beer before bottling.

I tested it in the tube the hydrometer came in. I tested water in this tube, and as said it was room temperature, but I was testing with a 60 degree hydrometer. It read right below the .000, so it should be calibrated. I then placed some beer into the tube, and it read as originally, right at the place where the hydrometer starts to go straight, probably a good .015-.020 units below the 1.000. That being said, I tasted the beer and it has alcohol for sure. I didn't have my hydrometer to take the OG, so I can see that this wasn't the best batch for using a hydrometer. Thanks for all the input, still don't understand it, but what can you do?

Well, if the hydrometer read 1.015, that's what you are looking for. I'm not sure what you are saying about where it is straight.

Here is a picture from RichBrewer's gallery of a proper hydrometer reading:

Scottish_Hydro.JPG

Make sure the hydrometer is floating freely, not touching the sides and give it a spin to make sure there are no air bubbles under it.

Believe me, I'm not being an idiot with this... other than I have a proof and tralle hydrometer, and I noticed it says it's to be used with specific gravities less than 1.000. I think it might be the wrong kind??????

A "triple scale hydrometer" is the one you want. Now, you'll just ignore the PA (potential alcohol) and Brix scale, but that's the one you want. Here is a link: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=801

There is a picture just above in my post. Any other hydrometer with more precise SGs is generally useless to the homebrewer and home winemaker. Mine goes from .990 to about 1.130 or so. Perfect for beer and wine.

Back