Help! i think i got the infection! (sanatization questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbice

Reaction score
So my friends and I brewed our second batch a week from yesterday. I checked the batch and it had some reddish foam on the krauzen (spelled it wrong I know) I'm assuming its infected. Here are my sanitation steps let me know if i can improve on them. because a snow storm we weren't as vigorous as we could have been the second time around

1.kicked up the burner with 4 gallons of tap water in the boil kettle (hard well water) and added oxyclean
2. Brought the solution to 170
3. Ran the solution through the counter flow chiller into the carboy and let it soak over night
4. Filled a bucket with warm tap water and oxyclean and soaked all post boil equipment over night as well
5. Next day put 4 gallons of purified spring water (same that we brew with) with star San in the boil kettel and ran it through the counter flow
6. Soaked all my post boil equipment in the same sanitizing solution and let them soak until usage
7. Filled the carboy with Sanitizer solution and did the same

Now I feel like the counter flow mave been the culprit but give me some pointers or some steps you take to remain clean.

Thanks and brew on!

It sounds like you did just about everything right. What are you brewing? It's possible the krausen may be "discolored" from some ingredient in your wort. I think the counter flow chiller would probably be sanitized by the hot wort going through it, so there shouldn't be a problem there.
I'd leave it alone and wait to see how the brew turns out.

As teh others have said it is probably just from teh ingredients you used, both my brown ale and wee heavy had a brownish red tint to the kaursen. Sounds like you did everything you need to (don't have a counterflow so not sure what all would need to be done).

Back