HELP!!!!! I need help with a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingbrewer70

Reaction score
this is my first recipe for a stout
4lbs. Extra Dark DME
3.3 dark LME
Grains
.25 honey Malt
.25 Roasted Barley
.75 Black Patent

1084 wyeast Irish ale
1oz uk Kent Golding
1oz. us Cluster
primed with dark DME.

this is a total experiment. i did reach out to a few people that i know have done this a while and have a lot of experience and are very good. they thought it looked pretty good

ive been doing a lot of experimenting recently with secondary times (this was brewed March 1, 2015. it doesnt have a huge amount of head and its best warm (very Irish) .
need some advice please. will put in a picture if anyone answers

PS.... Dont shun me i dont like beer something in alcohol that makes me very sick but i make it for friends sooooo far its been loved very much. i like the science and the fun of making it .i do try it to make sure of its quality.
PROST!!!

not sure what you're asking for help with. Are you looking for people to validate your recipe? have you taken some steps in brewing this and aren't sure how to proceed?

I would use light LME and DME and steep with dark grains. All dark grains is going to create a heavy, syruppy, sweet thing. It will be beer, but probably not what you're trying to make.

This is the stout right after it was poured.

BUDZOPICS 215.jpg

So you need HELP, but the beer is already carbonated? Looks totally infected besides being a terrible recipe. Dump it immediately and never brew beer again! j/k

So you need HELP, but the beer is already carbonated? Looks totally infected besides being a terrible recipe. Dump it immediately and never brew beer again! j/k

Wellllllllll......... not really the help i was here to get.... Ill go dump it in the garden (I need a weed killer) then pack up my stuff, never to brew beer EVER again,

Now, with that said what could be the reason it didnt have more head?(twss)

PS... my neighbor just returned with his bottle and told me it was very smooth with good flavor

so this is a foam retention issue. That wasn't very clear.

A BYO article or blog post about foam retention.

Here is a beersmith article on foam retention. There is also a beersmith podcast where he talked to a guy known as "the pope of foam", you should be able to find it with a few quick searches, it might even be linked at the end/bottom of the article.

Do what you can to promote healthy fermentation (proper amounts of yeast, proper temps), and use a little bit of adjuncts (maybe oats would be a good addition to your stout?). Allow the beer to condition for a couple weeks, and it might help a little to leave it in the fridge for a few days before opening it.

In your picture the beer had a lot of head for a stout. I wouldn't think that you'd want more than that. I like to make stouts with 1/2 that much carbonation. It's appropriate for the style.

It's very cute to see a brewer who brews and doesn't drink it.
Did you really create that recipe on your own?
I would think that it would taste good. I haven't seen honey malt in a stout but it may be nice. If you are new to using yeasts, you may get better results from dry yeasts that from liquid ones.

In your picture the beer had a lot of head for a stout. I wouldn't think that you'd want more than that. I like to make stouts with 1/2 that much carbonation. It's appropriate for the style.

It's very cute to see a brewer who brews and doesn't drink it.
Did you really create that recipe on your own?
I would think that it would taste good. I haven't seen honey malt in a stout but it may be nice. If you are new to using yeasts, you may get better results from dry yeasts that from liquid ones.

Cute???? havent heard i was being cute before, but if its good cool if not oh well.
Yes i created my own recipe i have done a few of my own mostly with lighter beers this is my first stout. why would i lie about that? why do you ask? i decided what i wanted then worked out what would what with brewer's friend to get the values where i wanted them.

Thank you very much for the info. i will put it to good use
Ive gotten some good reviews so far. i figured i would put it to the test, that way i could get feedback from those who drink it then figure out how to make it better.
i like to make 3 recipes to see which one is best then tweak that to be the best possibe.

I mean cute in that it takes a very considerate person to brew only for the benefit of others.
I asked if you created the recipe because it looked good and was very unique which is interesting, again, for someone who doesn't drink their beer.
Brewing a few times with a style is a good idea. I have been brewing 10 gallon batches of popular recipes and splitting up the batch into three carboys in order to learn about how each yeast changes the taste.

I mean cute in that it takes a very considerate person to brew only for the benefit of others.
I asked if you created the recipe because it looked good and was very unique which is interesting, again, for someone who doesn't drink their beer.
Brewing a few times with a style is a good idea. I have been brewing 10 gallon batches of popular recipes and splitting up the batch into three carboys in order to learn about how each yeast changes the taste.[/QUOTE

THANK YOU!!!! i see my post looked be a bit defensive, then it should've for that i apologize.
when i ramp up my system im going bigger and try what youve suggested.

the reviews are coming back.... 1 case is gone the next is being sent out to others to review. so far its been said good coffee flavor, smooth and its not bitter. lots of good so i guess the experiment was a sucess. thanks for the tips im thinking up a cream ale soon

Back