Help! I keep losing beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donkeyhodie3

Reaction score
No,not like where I left it.Lemme explain.I recently brewed two batches after a long absence,both went into secondaries.Each time when I bottled,I wound up about 3 six packs short.Since the only place I could be losing it is the transfers,here's my question:is using a ye olde ale pail bottling bucket as a primary,transferring (via spigot and hose,I know,no splashing) to a second bottling bucket,and going on from there a safe idea? I've seen this mentioned in passing in several places,but no good idea/bad idea kind of info.Thought's anyone?

Beer gnome drank it before if was ready.

Normally I'd chock it up to sediment and junk that you leave behind after your primary, but did I read correctly that it's nearly 1.6 gallons per batch that's missing?? It's possible that the actual measurements on your buckets are wrong, so they're saying 5 when really 4 or something...

Yep.Both batches were about 38 12oz.bottles short.As for the markings being off,if they are (which I'll check) it could only happen to me.I actually was worried a bit about the last batch 'cause I filled the primary a wee bit above the 5 gallon mark!The only way I can think of is that I'm losing it is in whats left in the primary and secondary,hence the idea of using just 2 buckets.Thanks for the reply.Hope I'm making sense.

I always brew 6 gallon batches 1/2 Gallon left in kettle 1/2 gallon left in primary. I do not use secondary unless fruit. I end up with exactly 5 gallons and an lose a couple ounces in bottling bucket.

My first thought is some loss in transfer and are you using a bottleing wand or manaully stopping the flow. If you are not using a wand I can easily see over filling bottles and thus loosing beer.

The only thing I can think of is maybe your bottling bucket is leaking. Or maybe if you're dry hopping - hops seem to soak up a lot of fluid and it's hard to get it back.

Ok,I think I may have figured this out.I eyeballed about how much I had left in both the primary and secondary and it's close to about a quart or so in each.My Ale Pale is marked correctly,so if I topped it off to about 5.5 gallons,skipped the secondary and racked about as much as I can using my auto siphon,I ought to be in a little better shape,right?

P.s I think my math is off.I'm off by about 18 bottles,or 216 oz.Thanks for the replies.

Just out of curiousity, and I'm not trying to be a smart@ss or anything, but are you sure about your math (e.g. 1 gallon = 128 oz., approx. 53 12 oz bottles per 5 gallons, etc.)?

I'm off by about 18 bottles,or 216 oz.

I am thinking this loss can be explained as a combination of 2 things, Hydro samples and trub. If you do not secondary, that means that you have LOTS of trub. If you syphon down to the trub line is that about a gallon or more?

Trub was wort when you filled the bucket... :mug:

I also use these Ale Pail buckets...for now...but I am a bit more tenacious about my product. I secondary....all the time...This seems to reduce the really bad thick trub at the bottom of the bucket and gives me a clearer beer.

When I move it to a bottling bucket, I get all I can with the siphon and then GENTLY poor, like a home brew into a glass, the remaining liquid into a smaller separate bucket I will leave this to separate/clarify on its own while I bottle the rest. At the end of my bottling run I will use 2-22oz bottles, that I have dubbed the "Trubbled 2", I "sample" any that is left normally after that 1-3 oz.
The Trubbled 2 often end up with a thicker than average sentiment, go figure, and have been noted to contain some "floaters", I think they are hops particles, since I have not strained my hops as of yet but am starting to next batch. IDC about any of this as I am drinking it vs. throwing it away with the trub...

Back