Help, I found a list of ingredients, including Briess Cherrywood, help identify style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I found this list of ingredients stuffed in a drawer and I forget what style of beer it was and the brewing process.
Any help with style and brewing process would be appreciated.

8 lbs Maris Otter
2.25 lbs Briess smoked cherrywood
1/2 lb Victory
1/2 lb Crystal 40
1 oz Brambling Cross hops
1 oz East Kent Goldings
1 pk Safale US-05

This may not be everything or correct amounts for a recipe. It's a list of ingredients I was going to purchase. I may have had other ingredients on hand.

Not enough color for a porter.... Based on the ingredients, it look more like a smoked ESB or brown ale?

Looks brittish. Short of punching it in beersmith I'd say use hard water and do an infusion mash around 153, use the high AA hops in the bittering position and split the remainder between 15 min and flame out. Hit it with sim Nottigham or S-04 and call it whatever you want

Just got to thinking this recipe may be saved in my BeerSmith program. I'll have to check when I get home

Yay! I did have this in Beer Smith.

I have it listed as "Specialty beer" with more ingrediants and a change

8 lbs Maris Otter
2 1/2 lbs Briess Cherrywood
1 lb Chocolate malt
1/2 lb Crystal 40
1/2 lb Victory
1 oz Brambling Cross 60min
.25 oz EKG 15 min
.25 oz EKG 5 min
.25 oz EKG Flameout
1 pkg US-05

Designed assuming 72% efficiency

Pre boil gravity 1.046
OG 1.065
FG 1.012
IBU's 25.8
Color 30.1 SRM

I tried to put it in different categories and for American brown ale the gravity is too high. If I reduce Maris Otter to 7 1/2 lbs and Cherrywood to 1 3/4 lb it brings it into that style, with cherrywood being almost 16% of the grain bill.

As a "Robust Porter" it was right on the edge of that style.
It is right in the middle of the "Other Smoked Beer 22B" style(of course that category has extremely wide ranges)

My efficiency is higher than 72% so I may tweak the recipe a bit and give it a go as any of those.

Maybe I could add some chocolate powder or coffee

It might be time to have a go at my first 1 gallon batch

I actually like this recipe as listed in the OP, more of a smoked amber, although I'd change the hops up a bit. Might have to think about that...

I actually like this recipe as listed in the OP, more of a smoked amber, although I'd change the hops up a bit. Might have to think about that...

True, I was thinking

.5 oz Chinook 60 min(mostly because I have Chinook on hand)
1 oz Willamette 20 min
1 oz Willamette 5 min

Latest posts

Back