Help! Gelatin - Never had this happen before.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonK331

Reaction score
So I boiled a pint or so of water, let cool to 170F, added gelatin, and let sit for about 20 mins. THen I cooled in a water bath and added to my fermenter. As I was cleaning out my pan I noticed that the bottom was covered with a sheet of gelatin so I don't think any actually made it into the fermenter. I forgot to stir this time but that's the only difference. I'm heating some more water now and going to add at least another half a pack of knox. Do you guys think any gelatin from the first run actually made it into the fermenter? Should I NOT add some more???

Sounds like you added the gelatin to water that was too hot.

Let 1 cup of water come up to room temp in a small sauce pan, then sprinkle 1 Tbl. of gelatin on top and let it hydrate. Come back 10 minutes later and gently heat to 160-170 while stirring to make sure it is all dissolved.

Stir again before adding it to your beer. It won't clump up this way.

Importandt to add Gelatine to cool water and let it rest in the cool water before heating. used to let it rest 10 minutes but I have read that resting up to an hour is best then stir heat and stir again. I add it while it is still warm and shake the keg up a bit. I had a horribly cloudy beer and that gelatine clears it up.

Ah okay, I thought it was important to boil it first in order to get any dissolved O2 out of the water first. I guess I just need to let it cool down more before I add the gelatin, and then warm it back up to dissolve. Thanks guys, lesson learned.

So I boiled a pint or so of water, let cool to 170F, added gelatin, and let sit for about 20 mins. THen I cooled in a water bath and added to my fermenter. As I was cleaning out my pan I noticed that the bottom was covered with a sheet of gelatin so I don't think any actually made it into the fermenter. I forgot to stir this time but that's the only difference. I'm heating some more water now and going to add at least another half a pack of knox. Do you guys think any gelatin from the first run actually made it into the fermenter? Should I NOT add some more???

Gelatin should be added to cold water to let dissolve and then heated.

Back