HELP! Forgot to add dry malt extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremystabile77

Reaction score
i was brewing an IPA last night and pitched the yeast in the primary fermenter but it wasn't until cleaned everything up I realized that i forgot to add the dry malt extract when boiling. now the fermenter is already bubbling a little. is it too late to boil the DME let it cool and then add it to the fermenter? I've read a few different opinions like "it will be fine without it out just really bitter" and "it'll be fine if you add it after the fact you just risk contamination." does anybody have experience with my idiotic mistake? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No problem. I probably wouldn't add it as is, in a big solid chunk, so I'd dissolve it in as little water as possible and bring to a boil briefly. Cool to room temperature, and gently pour it in.

@Gavin C
I boiled in:
- .75 lbs Caramel Specialty Grains
- 6lb. Gold Malt Syrup
- .5 oz Centinnial Hops (60 min.)
- 1 oz Cascade Hops (20 min.)
- 1 oz Cascade Hops (10 min.)
- 2 oz Citra Hops (flame out 10 min.)
- Dry Safale US-05 Ale yeast

it was 1lb Gold DME that i forgot to boil in.

@Yooper
I boiled the 1lb dry malt extract with a little more than 1 quart of water and currently waiting to get to room temperature.

You guys are rad for the quick response!

Should be fine to add the boiled and cooled DME exactly as you are doing.

Nice save. Should turn out great.

Looks like a really nice recipe.

update: last night i boiled the 1lb of dry malt extract with 1.5 quarts of water. cooled it to room temperature and added it to the primary fermenter. today it's still bubbling. we'll find out the results in 6 weeks. thanks all.

Back